Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of North West England

11 February 2014

1898 – Village Shops, Port Sunlight, Cheshire

Architect: Grayson & Ould “The distinguishing feature beyond the notable extent of the undertaking is the picturesque and varied character of their buildings, several leading architects having been engaged by the proprietors for...

08 February 2014

1898 – Proposed Fountain, Queens Park, Burnley, Lancashire

Architect: J.W. Boyd The Park is Grade 2 listed by English Heritage, and the fountain still exists today. “In the competition held recently, this design was placed first in order of merit. It...

05 February 2014

1897 – White Star Line Building, Liverpool, Lancashire

Architect: Richard Norman Shaw & J. Francis Doyle Designed by Richard Norman Shaw with J. Francis Doyle, it was built for the Ismay, Imrie and Company shipping company, which later became the White...

05 February 2014

1920 – Design for Elder, Dempster & Co., Liverpool

Architect: Briggs & Wolstenholme / Hobbs & Thornely Elder, Dempster & Co. were a shipping line and cargo agents based in Liverpool from the mid 19th century onwards. Elder Dempster Lines was the...

05 February 2014

1903 – Design for the Cathedral, Liverpool

Architect: Frank Whalley Honourable Mention in the preliminary round of the second architectural competition to design an Anglican cathedral for Liverpool. After a open round, five entrants were invited into the final considerations....

05 February 2014

1902 – Design for new Cathedral, Liverpool

Architect: Charles Herbert Reilly Charles Herbert Reilly’s proposed design for Liverpool Cathedral was in the English Neo-Classical style, with a large central dome like Wren’s St Paul’s. This was the second competition in...

01 February 2014

1901 – St. Alban’s Church, Blackburn, Lancashire

Architect: Edward Goldie Opened in 1901, designs first published in The Builder in 1897. Still in use as a Roman Catholic parish church today.

01 February 2014

1898 – Townhall, Heaton Chapel, Lancashire

Architect: Hooley & Mee “This design, by Messrs. T.W. Hooley and F.W. Mee, of Manchester, was submitted in a recent limited competition, and aims at an endeavour to produce a suitable building picturesquely...

20 January 2014

1897 – Wesleyan Church, Crosby, Lancashire

Architect: J. Francis Doyle Design for a Wesleyan Church in Crosby, then near Liverpool, now a part of Sefton.