Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of North West England

11 March 2013

1867 – Albert Memorial Industrial Schools, Birkenhead, Cheshire

Architect: David Walker In 1864 Sir William Jackson donated land for the building of the Birkenhead industrial school. The school was to stand in the centre of the poorest area of Birkenhead –...

11 March 2013

1879 – St. Michael’s Church, Ditton Hall, Cheshire

Architect: Henry Clutton Founded when Jesuits who had been expelled from Germany in 1872 and settled in Ditton. The church was constructed between 1876 and 1879, cost £16,000, and was funded Lady Mary...

20 February 2013

1898 – Conservative Club, Barnoldswick, Lancashire

Architect: J.W. Broughton “This building, which was recently opened by Lord Wenlock, was designed by Mr. J.W. Broughton, architect, of Skipton, whose plans were selected in a limited competition. The general design is...

15 February 2013

1867 – Designs for proposed buildings in Sefton Park, Liverpool

Architect: André & Hornblower Sefton Park is a 235 acre, Grade II* historic park in the Sefton Park district of Liverpool. In 1867 the local council purchased the land from the Earl of...

12 February 2013

1871 – India Mill, Darwen, Lancashire

Architect: Ernest Bates Eccles Shorrock & Co., cotton spinners, constructed this impressive building between 1859 and 1871, including the erection of a 303ft high Italian campanile chimney, and is now itself a Grade...

12 February 2013

1868 – Warehousemen and Clerks’ Orphan Schools, Manchester

Architect: Ernest Bates Formed as The Manchester Warehousemen and Clerks’ Orphan Schools in 1855, moved to this site in 1869, and now known as Cheadle Hulme School. From The Building News: “ONE of...

15 January 2013

1898 – Fire Station, Bootle, Lancashire

Architect: Briggs & Wolstenholme Unbuilt design for new fire station for the Bootle area. A six-bay fire station was constructed several years later to a more modest design. “The accompanying view is reproduced...

21 December 2012

1813 – Eaton Hall, Cheshire

Architect: William Porden / William Burn When Robert Grosvenor, then the 2nd Earl Grosvenor, and later the 1st Marquess of Westminster, inherited the Eaton estate in 1802, it was decided that the Samwell-designed...

11 December 2012

1858 – Crypt Chambers, Eastgate St., Chester, Cheshire

Architect: T.M. Penson Published in The Building News, 1860. Constructed to continue the famous Chester Rows within the design, Penson’s Crypt Chambers is a Grade I listed building. It was built as a...