Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Oxfordshire

14 January 2012

13th C. – St. Mary’s Church, Shipton-under-Wychwood, Oxfordshire

The church is in the middle of the village overlooking the village green and is immediately visible from the main road. It was first mentioned in 1115 when Henry I gave land at...

01 May 2012

1419 – St. Mary’s Church, Adderbury, Oxfordshire

A church constructed over several centuries. What is not the transepts is the earliest part, dating from c1250; the main body of the church and tower dates from the early 14th century; with...

14 January 2011

1670s – Dovecote, Shipton Court, Shipton-under-Wychwood, Oxfordshire

Shipton Court on the south side of the village was built for the Lacy family in 1603. It was bought and remodelled in 1663 by the Reade family, who retained it until 1868....

15 April 2013

1682 – Tom Tower, Christ Church, Oxford

Architect: Christopher Wren Tom Tower is a bell tower and the main entrance of Christ Church College. This square tower with an octagonal lantern and facetted ogee dome was designed by Christopher Wren...

16 March 2013

1857 – Balliol College Chapel, Oxford, Oxfordshire

Architect: William Butterfield The existing Chapel is the third on the site. The first was under construction in 1328, with the second Chape built about 1525. It was pulled down in 1856 to...

14 February 2011

1858 – New Library, Exeter College, Oxford

Architect: George Gilbert Scott

08 July 2009

1860 – Oxford University Museum, Oxfordshire

Architect: Deane & Woodward The neo-Gothic building, one of the finest in Britain, was designed by the Irish architects Thomas Newenham Deane and Benjamin Woodward. Directly influenced by the writings of critic John...

20 December 2012

1860 – Stratton Audley Park, Oxfordshire

Architect: T. Roger Smith This building, of which we give an Illustration, is now in course of erection at Stratton Audley, near Bicester, in Oxfordshire, and is rapidly approaching completion. It stands on...

11 March 2011

1862 – Church of SS. Phillip & James, Oxford

Architect: George Edmund Street Construction began on May 1, 1860, with the laying of the foundation stone by Samuel Wilberforce, Bishop of Oxford. The church was designed by G.E. Street, the Diocesan architect,...