Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Oxfordshire

02 September 2010

1880 – City of Oxford High School for Boys, George Street, Oxford

Architect: T.G. Jackson Illustration published in The Building News, June 13th 1880. The Oxford Chronicle for 11 October 1879 gives the following full description of the proposed school: “This building, which is about...

28 September 2009

1880 – New Boat House, Oxford, Oxfordshire

Architect: John Oldrid Scott “The boat- house is now being built for the Oxford University Boat Club by Mr. Silver, of Maiden- head. The lower story consists of the boat-house proper, about 70ft....

08 July 2009

1880 – New Schools, Tetsworth, Oxfordshire

Architect: Arthur Vernon Perspective view & ground plan as published in The Building News, May 7th 1880.

12 June 2012

1880 – Post Office, St. Aldate’s, Oxford

Architect: E.G. Rivers Still in use as a post office today, but sympathetically extended in the early 20th century, the building as designed is still visible. During the extension, the projecting part of...

22 June 2009

1880 – St. Mary Magdalen’s College, Oxford, Oxfordshire

Architect: Bodley & Garner “We give illustrations of these important new buildings. One is a bird’s-eye view, showing the new buildings completed. At present the south and east elevations only are being carried...

24 August 2009

1881 – Cricket Pavilion for Oxford University, Oxfordshire

Architect: T.G. Jackson “The new pavilion for the use of the Oxford University Cricket Club is built in the Parks, where a new cricket-ground has been lately formed. The building is designed by...

08 July 2009

1881 – Master’s Lodge, University College, Oxford

Architect: Bodley & Garner “This new building has been recently erected from the design of Messrs. G.F. Bodley and T. Garner, architects. It is of somewhat considerable size. “Brown’s Library” was left to...

08 July 2009

1881 – New High School for Girls, Oxford

Architect: T.G. Jackson The school began life on November 3, 1875, with twenty-nine girls and three teachers under headmistress Ada Benson, at the Judge’s Lodgings (St Giles’ House) at 16 St Giles’, central...

13 September 2009

1881 – Proposed Quadrangle, Magdalen College, Oxford, Oxfordshire

Architect: Basil Champneys “The drawing published shows the street facade of a proposed now quadrangle for Magdalen College, Oxford. It was submitted by Mr. Basil Champneys in a competition to which Messrs. Street,...