Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Sussex

04 February 2011

1575 – Middle House, Mayfield, Sussex

Architect: William Houghton Perspective View including details of house built circa 1575 by William Houghton. Published in The Building News, September 22nd 1876.

10 March 2011

1860 – Church of St. Michael & All Angels, Brighton, Sussex

Architect: G.F. Bodley Plans for the church were drawn up in 1858, and construction took place between 1860 and 1861 to a design by George Frederick Bodley. Bodley was also working on St....

15 September 2010

1867 – Church of St. Saviour, Eastbourne, Sussex

Architect: George Edmund Street By the middle of the nineteenth century, Eastbourne was a growing town noted for its healthy climate. The railway had arrived in 1849 and an increasing number of people...

16 March 2012

1868 – Convent of St. Margaret, East Grinstead, Sussex

Architect: George Edmund Street The Sisters of St Margaret, an order of women in the Anglican Church, were founded in 1855 by Dr John Mason Neale at Rotherfield, England. As their numbers increased,...

16 March 2013

1868 – Leyes Wood, Sussex

Architect: Richard Norman Shaw Designed as a mansion for James W. Temple. A fantastic victorian confection of brick, gables and chimneys, displaying a knowledge of tradition building forms, it is designed as a...

04 September 2012

1868 – St. Michael’s Orphanage for Girls, Bletchingley, Sussex

Architect: Edward Welby Pugin Constructed through the generosity of the Dowager Duchess of Leeds between 1865-68; the location was originally known as Bletchingley Farm, and intended for 120 girls. It later became St...

16 March 2013

1869 – Brighton County Court, Sussex

Architect: T.C. Sorby Not quite built as illustrated in The Building News, the former County Court of Sussex still stands today in Church St., Brighton. From The Building News, February 21, 1869: “THE...

16 March 2013

1872 – Seacox Heath, Ticehurst, Sussex

Architect: Slater & Carpenter Built in 1871. Architects Carpenter and Slater. Tall mansion in the style of a French chateau. Three storeys and attic. Seven windows. Ashlar. Slate roof with three steep French...

16 March 2012

1872 – The Julius Elliott Memorial Schools, Mount St., Brighton, Sussex

Architect: Goulty & Gibbins This school was opened in 1873 and was originally known as the (Julius) Elliott Memorial School, although St Mary’s was an established alternative name. A new building for St...

Pages:1234567...14Next »