Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Devon

15 May 2009

1335 – Church of Ottery St. Mary, Devon

Nikolaus Pevsner described the building as as “lying large and low like a tired beast”. It is 163 feet long, and the towers are 71 feet high. It was consecrated in 1260, at...

04 January 2013

1859 – Houndiscombe House, Plymouth, Devon

Architect: James Hine Demolished in 1907. “THIS house, situate within the borough of Plymouth, on the North-road has lately been erected for Mr. William Derry, from designs by Mr, James Hine, architect. On...

24 June 2010

1863 – Duke of Cornwall Hotel, Plymouth, Devon

Architect: C.F. Hayward “The building of which we give illustrations (to be called ” The Duke of Cornwall Hotel”) is about to be erected at Plymouth, for the Plymouth Hotel Company, on a...

07 February 2013

1872 – Stevenstone House, Torrington, Devon

Architect: Charles Barry jnr. Stevenstone House, built by Hon. Mark Rolle between 1868 and 1872 to design of Charles Barry junior (d.1900). Now a largely demolished ruin. Surviving today is the Palladian library...

03 May 2010

1873 – Bowringsleigh, West Alvington, Devon

Architect: Richard Coad 15th Century Country house. heavily remodelled with considerable internal refitting throughout the 17c and with further alterations and additions of the later 19c.Originally the home of the Bowering family, later...

14 February 2011

1873 – Church of St. John, Torquay, Devon

Architect: George Edmund Street Interior perspective view published in The Architect, April 19th 1873. Built between 1861-73 to the designs of G.E. Street, west tower completed 1884-85 by A.E. Street to his father’s...

22 June 2009

1873 – Lodges, Rousdon, Devon

Architect: George & Vaughan

22 October 2009

1875 – City Bank, Exeter, Devon

Architect: John Gibson From The Architect, September 11, 1875: We illustrate this week a view of the above new building now in course of erection for Messrs. Milford, Snow & Co. It is...

22 June 2009

1876 – Delamore House, Ivybridge, Devon

Architect: J.P. St. Aubyn