Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Somerset

06 January 2013

1612 – Newton Surmaville, Yeovil, Somerset

*The house, which is also known as Newton House, was built between 1608 and 1612, on the site of an earlier building, but was extensively altered and enhanced in the 1870s. It was...

30 January 2013

1855 – Church of St. John the Baptist, Bedminster, Somerset

Architect: John Norton Cconsecrated on 30th October 1855, but plans for a spire were never realised. Burnt out on 24th November 1940 when it was hit by an incendiary bomb. Most of the...

29 June 2010

1855 – Orchardleigh Park, Somerset

Architect: T.H. Wyatt Although he worked in partnership for a large part of his career, on his own Wyatt designed Orchardleigh Park, Somerset (1855-8), in a vaguely Jacobean style.

15 October 2009

1862 – Church, Ilminster, Somerset

Architect: J. Mountford Allen From The Building News, January 31, 1862: This little church near Ilminster Somerset was rebuilt a few years ago to the memory of Stephen Pitt Esq by his widow...

06 March 2013

1868 – Schools, Stogursey, Somerset

Architect: John Norton Still in use today as a Church of England Primary School. From The Building News, February 21 1868: “THESE handsome schools have been recently erected at Stogursey, or Stoke-courcy, in...

05 March 2013

1871 – West of England Sanatorium, Weston-Super-Mare, Somersetshire

Architect: Hans F. Price Much of the character of the buildings in the town of Weston-super-Mare derives from the use of local stone. Notable among the architects working in the 19th century was...

05 August 2009

1872 – St. John’s Church, Bath, Somerset

Architect: Arthur W. Blomfield

24 August 2009

1873 – Cadbury House, Somerset

Architect: Sir Thomas Drew Now a hotel with a large modern wing attached, this, the garden front, is still largely unaltered. Designed by Irish architect Thomas Drew. “This house, the residence of the...

25 June 2009

1873 – Shepton Beauchamp Parsonage, Somerset

Architect: Richard W. Drew Perspective View including ground plan with references published in The Building News, October 16th 1874. The Old Rectory and Beauchamp Manor, now divided into two dwellings. 1873 by R.W....