Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Vanished England

31 January 2013

1861 – Volunteer Drill Hall, Bradford, Yorkshire

Architect: Andrews & Delaunay From The Building News: “THE accompanying is a view of the drill-room about to be built for the Sth West York Rifle Volunteers at Bradford, on land leased to...

16 March 2013

1861 – Wexham Lodge, Buckinghamshire

Architect: John Barnett From The Building News, January 18 1861: “THE engraving presents a view of an Elizabethan mansion, from tho designs of Mr. John Barnett, architect, now completing for Joseph Grote, Esq.,...

08 November 2012

1864 – Assize Courts, Manchester, Lancashire

Architect: Alfred Waterhouse Designed by Alfred Waterhouse in the neo-Gothic style, construction began in 1859 and was completed in 1864. This was Waterhouse’s first major commission, won by open competition, and the nearby...

02 July 2014

1865 – Crown Life Assurance, Fleet Street, London

Architect: Sir Thomas Newenham Deane Venetian Gothic office building that was constructed to replace, his deceased partner, Benjamin Woodward’s Blackfriars office. The Blackfriars building influenced the design of the Crown Life building on...

31 March 2013

1865 – Union Bank of London, Princes St., London

Architect: Philip Charles Hardwick This joint stock bank was established at 8 Moorgate Street, City of London, in 1839 as Union Bank of London with a paid-up capital of £211,500. The head office...

11 March 2013

1867 – Albert Memorial Industrial Schools, Birkenhead, Cheshire

Architect: David Walker In 1864 Sir William Jackson donated land for the building of the Birkenhead industrial school. The school was to stand in the centre of the poorest area of Birkenhead –...

31 March 2012

1868 – New University Club, St. James, London

Architect: Alfred Waterhouse Former club premises, now demolished.

25 February 2013

1868 – St. Luke`s Church, Millwall, London

Architect: E.L. Blackburne St Luke’s Church, Miilwall (in the Isle of Dogs) was bombed out during the Second World War. Since then the community has carried on with a make-shift chapel, tacked on...

09 March 2013

1869 – Chapel, Victoria St., Derby, Derbyshire

Architect: Hine & Evans From the Building News: “WE this week publish an engraving of the new chapel recently erected in Victoria-street, Derby, from the designs of Messrs. Hine and Evans, of Regent-street,...