Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Vanished England

16 July 2009

1875 – Boyd Workman’s Institute, Victoria Docks, London

Architect: Giles & Gane Founded by Henry Boyd, local vicar who was instrumental in trying to improve the lifes of the dockers and their families through education. In the 189s a centre for...

16 July 2009

1875 – The Horseshoe Hotel, Tottenham Court Road, London

Architect: Edward L. Paraire The former Horseshoe Hotel at 264-7 Tottenham Court Road is a substantial building, constructed in three phases, of yellow London stock bricks with terra cotta and Portland stone dressings...

06 May 2014

1877 – Doulton Factory, Lambeth, London

Architect: Tarring, Son & Wilkinson Roger Dixon and Stefan Muthesius call the Doulton pottery complex, as it originally stood, “one of the most comprehensive commercial establishments in any city” and that its slender...

21 March 2013

1877 – The Margate Skating Rink & Aquarium, Kent

Architect: Mr. Bedborough The Margate Skating Rink & Aquarium, Kent as proposed and published in The Builder, September 8th 1877. The imposing title of the Marine Palace was that chosen by its Victorian...

24 June 2009

1878 – Great Alne Hall, Warwickshire

Architect: G.H. Hunt In 1878 Great Alne Hall was built, the presumption being that it took the place of an original manor house. The hall was later replaced by a smaller house in...

30 December 2013

1878 – Turkish Baths, Camden, London

Architect: H.H. Bridgeman Published in The Building News, November 29 1878: “These buildings, which were opened last night, occupy a triangular site in the rear of two rows of new houses and shops,...

05 October 2009

1879 – Tower House, Bedford Park, Chiswick, London

Architect: Richard Norman Shaw Designed by Richard Norman Shaw for Jonathan Carr, developer of Bedford Park, and was built in 1878. It had 16 rooms and tennis and badminton courts in its grounds....

03 January 2014

1881 – Barrow Court, Chester, Cheshire

Architect: John Douglas This was one of Douglas’ largest country houses, built for the grain merchant, Hugh Lyle Smyth. It has been demolished. Also known as Barrowmore. “Barrow-court is pleasantly situated on an...

24 August 2009

1881 – Central Institution of the City & Guilds of London, South Kensington, London

Architect: Alfred Waterhouse Published in The Building News, December 23rd 1881. The Central Technical College building was designed by Alfred Waterhouse, better known as the architect of the Natural History Museum. The City...