Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Galway

22 January 2013

1819 – Salmon Weir Bridge, Galway

Architect: William Vitruvius Morrison Previously known as the Jail Bridge, as the city jail was on the site of where the Cathedral now is. A fine gently humped five-span bridge. Attribute to Morrison...

22 January 2013

1820 – Moyode Castle, Athenry, Co. Galway

About 3.5 km east of Athenry, Co. Galway, once the country seat of a wealthy Galway family called Persse, and constructed circa 1820.. The ruins can still be seen today. In the early...

13 January 2012

1821 – St Nicholas’ Pro-Cathedral, Galway

Architect: James Cusack Construction started in 1816 with the church finished and consecrated by 1821.

13 January 2012

1831 – Bank of Ireland, Eyre Square, Galway

Architect: James Cusack Still in use today, with further extension and alterations by Millar & Symes in 1905. Of interest are the facilities accorded to the Branch Manager – he clearly was expected...

15 April 2013

1833 – St Brigid’s Psychiatric Hospital, Ballinasloe, Co. Galway

Architect: William Murray / James F. Kempster Formerly known as Ballinasloe District Asylum. Originally designed by William Murray, as a “1st class” asylum with accommodation for 150 patients. Later extended by James F....

13 January 2013

1836 – Bank of Ireland, Ballinasloe, Co. Galway

Large branch bank for Bank of Ireland with outbuildings and living accommodation. Still in use today with extensions to the banking hall from the 1920s. Source: Album of surveys of all the branches...

22 January 2013

1842 – St. Patrick’s Church. Forster St., Galway

No longer in use as a parish church, a newer building has been constructed in the grounds alongside. The outline of the building is now much simplified, the ornate and unusual tower has...

15 August 2012

1843 – St. John the Evangelist Church, Ballinasloe, Co. Galway

Architect: Joseph Welland Erected in 1840 on top of a Norman motte. Designed by the architect Joseph Welland with a fine pinnacled tower. Destroyed by fire in 1899, but restored shortly afterwards.

05 April 2013

1849 – Franciscan Church, Galway, Co. Galway

Architect: James Cusack Started in 1835 and not completed until 1849, in a neo-classical style with a crisp Doric portico. Possibly a remodelling of an earlier church.