Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Galway

30 December 2009

1865 – Kylemore Abbey, Co. Galway

Architect: Samuel Ussher Roberts Kylemore Abbey, the home of the Benedictine nuns, stands at the edge of the lake surrounded by woodlands. The gothic castle was built by Mitchell Henry, an English businessman...

05 June 2014

1876 – Royal Marine Hotel, Salthill, Co. Galway

Architect: Edward Townsend Small hotel, with two floors and dormered attic designed by Galway engineer Edward Townsend. Townsend was Professor of Civil Engineering at Queen’s College, Galway for about fifty years.

09 August 2012

1878 – St Mary’s Cathedral, Tuam, Co. Galway

Architect: Thomas Newenham Deane This, the third Cathedral to be built in Tuam, was built on the site of the first cathedral and incorporated a Hiberno-Romanesque arch that remained onsite. The building is...

01 April 2013

1880 – St Raphael’s College, Loughrea, Co. Galway

Architect: J.J. O’Callaghan Former Convent of Mercy complex, now is use as a school. Later wing by W.H. Byrne & Son. The chapel is now in use as school sports hall. Quite a...

10 April 2013

1881 – Chapel, Kylemore, Co. Galway

Architect: J.F. Fuller Memorial chapel commissioned by Mitchell Henry as a family mausoleum upon the death of his wife in 1875. Located on the lake shore some distance from the castle is highly...

29 November 2010

1881 – High Altar Convent of Mercy, Loughrea, Co. Galway

Architect: Earley and Powells Coloured elevation, side elevation, vertical section and half plan for altarpiece, featuring carved statues of St Patrick and St Bridget in niches at either side. Also includes carved relief...

14 January 2013

1893 – Corrib Viaduct, Galway

In the 1890s, the Midland Great Western Railway Company was provided with a government grant of £264,000 to build a line from Galway across Connemara to Clifden. The line was opened to Clifden...

15 April 2013

1899 – Carmelite Abbey, Loughrea, Co. Galway

Architect: W.H. Byrne Church of 1820, by an unknown architect, under the supervision of Fr Gannon, the superior at the time, who also supervised the construction of the monastery and the convent. Renovated...

21 January 2013

1912 – St. Mary’s College, Galway

Architect: William A. Scott Seen here before the addition of the extra storey of 1939 flattened the highly original composition. An abstraction of collegiate gothic into a distinctly early twentieth century style with...