Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Roscommon

16 September 2012

1790s – Castlerea House, Castlerea, Co. Roscommon

The earlier main block of seven bays was quite plain; while the 19th century wings had balustraded parapets. The three-bay side of the left wing served as the entrance front. In the later...

19 March 2012

1810 – Rockingham, Boyle, Co. Roscommon

Architect: John Nash Originally built as a two storey house for General Robert King by John Nash. In 1822 an extra floor was added and after a fire in the 1860s it was...

15 April 2013

1814 – Barrack Block, Tete-De-Pont, Shannonbridge, Co. Roscommon

Tete-de-pont or bridge defences which were constructed during the Napoleonic Wars. The defences were designed to delay a military force approaching from the west from crossing the River Shannon to the eastern side....

28 October 2012

1822 – Lough Key Castle, Boyle, Co. Roscommon

Architect: John Nash Sited on Castle Island (named due to a 13th century tower on it) in Lough Key, and locally attributed to John Nash. Built originally as a folly or large summerhouse...

28 August 2012

1830 – St. Nathy’s College, Ballaghaderreen, Co. Roscommon

St. Nathy’s complex, comprises a school, former barracks and gate lodge. Now used as a school. Detached fourteen-bay three-storey former barracks, established c.1830, with five-bay breakfront with stepped parapet and two-storey gable fronted...

12 June 2013

1860 – Signal Box, Knockcroghery, Co. Roscommon

Knockcroghery railway station opened on 13 February 1860 and closed on 17 June 1963.

15 April 2013

1870 – Bank of Ireland, Boyle, Co. Roscommon

Attractive bank branch with symmetrical front elevation, with doors to the banking hall and living accommodation. One of the doorways has an ATM crudely inserted. The doorway to the banking hall has a...

22 October 2010

1876 – Convent of the Sisters of Charity, Ballaghaderreen, Co. Roscommon

Architect: J.J. O’Callaghan Small gothic revival convent by O`Callaghan with the nuns accommodation separated from the chapel by a small two-stage tower and belfry. Now disused but intact.

18 October 2012

1878 – Clonalis House, Castlerea, Co. Roscommon

Architect: F.P. Cockerell Two storey Italianate house designed for Charles O’Conor Don, replacing an earlier residence on Clonalis Estate dating from approximately 1750. This imposing building has 45 rooms and combines elements of...