Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Sligo

30 December 2009

1250 – Dominican Friary, Sligo, Co. Sligo

Known locally as the Abbey, this Dominican Friary was founded in the mid-13th century by Maurice FitzGerald, Baron of Offaly. The Abbey has had a turbulent history, having been destroyed by fire in...

30 December 2009

1730 – St. Mary the Virgin & St. John the Baptist Cathedral, Sligo, Co. Sligo

Architect: Richard Cassels A much modified Georgian Cathedral with Victorian glass and fitttings from 1890, the Cathedral of St. Mary the Virgin and St. John the Baptist, John Street, is the oldest building...

23 September 2014

1802 – Markree Castle, Co. Sligo

Architect: Francis Johnston The castle, as we see it today, dates from 1802 with exterior changes by the architect Francis Johnston and with some changes made, mainly to the interior, in 1896. Semi-derelict...

26 September 2014

1818 – Former Prison, Sligo, Co. Sligo

Designed to hold 200 inmates in a polygon-shaped building, with six-bay two-storey facets and six-bay three-storey terminal block to south. The Governor’s residence situated in the centre of the prison. Construction of the...

05 November 2012

1842 – Seafield, Co. Sligo

Architect: George Papworth Also known as Lisheen, and now almost completely ruined. Reputed to be haunted, the house was abandoned in the 1920s after repeated attempts to rid the house of its presence...

09 July 2011

1848 – Dominican Friary, Sligo, Co. Sligo

Architect: John Benson / G.C. Ashlin Church constructed between 1845-48 replacing an earlier church of 1763. A tower was added several years later. G.C. Ashlin added chancel decoration including mosaics and altar railing...

30 December 2009

1850 – Railway Station, Sligo, Co. Sligo

Architect: John Skipton Mulvany Built in the early 1850s by John Skipton Mulvany, the architect of the sublime Broadstone station in Dublin, the station was burned out during the Irish Civil War. This...

30 December 2009

1851 – Library, Sligo, Co. Sligo

Architects: Lanyon, Lynn and Lanyon Designed by Lanyon, Lynn and Lanyon as a small Gothic Revival church in 1851, it was converted in 1954 into a Library. The former manse of 1867 is...

30 December 2009

1852 – Hyde Bridge, Sligo, Co. Sligo

Architect: Sir John Benson This is the main bridge in Sligo and was built between 1848-53 by local architect and engineer Sir John Benson. Originally it was dedicated to Queen Victoria but has...

Pages:123Next »