Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Sligo

02 March 2010

2003 – Unbuilt Sligo – LAMA Architectural Competition

Architects: Archimago & I/O Interdisciplinary Office

31 December 2009

1901 – Sligo Post Office, Co. Sligo

Architect: Board of Works A fine post office with shallow, bow-fronted end bays with beautiful banded brick. Above the pedimented doorway inscriptions read ‘ Post Office’ and E 1901 R’. The handsome red...

31 December 2009

1895 – Masonic Hall, Sligo, Co. Sligo

Architect: Henry Seaver Designed by Belfast architect Henry Seaver, this distinctive brick Arts and Crafts building, sited on rising land, is a prominent local landmark with a tower with a richly moulded terracotta...

31 December 2009

2000 – Model Arts and Niland Gallery, Sligo, Co. Sligo

Architects: James H. Owen / McCullough Mulvin The original building was designed by James Owen of the Board of Works to provide education to all demoninations between 1857-63. Part residence and school, the...

30 December 2009

1895 – Gillooly Memorial Hall, Sligo, Co. Sligo

Architect: P.J. Kilgallen Built to commemorate the deceased Bishop Gillooly who was a campaigner against alcohol. The interior is classic victorian – polished mahogany and leaded glass. The exterior is grim and foreboding,...

30 December 2009

1878 – Courthouse, Sligo, Co. Sligo

Architect: Rawson Carroll Most large Irish towns have a fine classical courthouse (Carlow, Monaghan, Dundalk), but Sligo’s is a fine Gothic Revival ediface. The design is dominated by the octagonal tower which has...

30 December 2009

1877 – Allied Irish Bank, Sligo, Co. Sligo

Architect: T.M. Deane Originally the Provincial Bank, this branch of AIB is finished with elaborately carved Mountcharles sandstone. Well proportioned, almost square in elevation, the style is vaguely Elizabethan in inspiration.

30 December 2009

1874 – Townhall, Sligo, Co. Sligo

Architect: William Hague Designed by William Hague (who was better known for his churches), Sligo Townhall is a well proportioned building in a Lombardo-Romanesque style. The dominant feature is the central clock tower...

30 December 2009

1851 – Library, Sligo, Co. Sligo

Architects: Lanyon, Lynn and Lanyon Designed by Lanyon, Lynn and Lanyon as a small Gothic Revival church in 1851, it was converted in 1954 into a Library. The former manse of 1867 is...