Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Vanished Ireland

25 March 2013

1358 – Long Choir, Christ Church Cathedral, Dublin

Demolished in the 1870s during the reconstruction and restoration of the Cathedral by George Edmund Street.

05 March 2014

1570 – The Wooden House, Drogheda, Co. Louth

The Wooden House, Drogheda; erected 1570 by Nicholas Bathe at the junction of Laurence and Shop streets; taken down 1824. From The Dublin Penny Journal, September 15 1832: “It occupied the angle formed...

19 September 2012

15th C. – Brown’s Castle, Dublin

Approximately where Cornmarket is now, Brown’s Castle was better known as the Black Dog prison. The castle became a tavern from which the prison got its name. From the early 18th century the...

26 June 2014

1603 – St. Augustine’s Fort, Galway

Work began on the Augustinian foundation in Galway in the early 1500s. Located outside the city walls, the lands were seized in 1546 following the dissolution of the monasteries. In 1601, Sir Josias...

30 November 2012

1619 – Castle Caldwell, Co. Fermanagh

Castle Caldwell was built between 1612 and 1619, during the time of the Plantation of Ulster, by the Blennerhassetts, in classic Planter style; a bawn with 2 semi-circular projecting flanker towers and a...

29 October 2012

1620s – Charlemont Fort, Co. Armagh

Charlemont Fort was a garrison built in Charlemont in 1602 by Lord Mountjoy. It was destroyed in 1920 by fire and the only building remaining today is the gatehouse. The 17th century governor’s...

03 January 2013

1622 – Exchange or Market House, Derry

Originally erected by the London Corporation at a cost of over 500 pounds after a decision taken in 1616 that “a market house and a town house should be erected in Derry, by...

13 January 2013

1639 – Tholsel, Galway

Demolished around 1822, construction started in 1639.

06 June 2013

1669 – Crotta House, Kilflynn, Co. Kerry

Architect: Richard Morrison Original house of 1669, owned by the Ponsonby family. Additions of 1819 in a Jacobean style to the existing house by Sir Richard Morrison, who added gables and the curvilinear...