Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Vanished Ireland

06 June 2013

1669 – Crotta House, Kilflynn, Co. Kerry

Architect: Richard Morrison Original house of 1669, owned by the Ponsonby family. Additions of 1819 in a Jacobean style to the existing house by Sir Richard Morrison, who added gables and the curvilinear...

09 December 2011

1682 – Tholsel, Dublin

Architect: The name “Tholsel” is derived from two old English words: “toll”, meaning tax; and “sael”, or hall, the place where tolls were paid. In the middle ages it served as court house,...

28 March 2013

1692 – Carrickblacker House, Portadown, Co. Armagh

The Blacker family, founded an estate at Carrick, on the Portadown–Gilford road. The land had been bought by Colonel Valentine Blacker from Sir Anthony Cope of Loughgall, and became known as Carrickblacker. Their...

03 January 2013

1692 – Exchange, Derry, Co. Derry

Architect: Captain Francis Neville Built to replace the Exchange of 1622, which was largely destroyed during the Siege of Derry. According to the Ordnance survey of the county of Londonderry (1837): “The Town...

18 February 2014

1700 – Platten Hall, Co. Meath

Architect: Sir William Robinson Construction started circa 1700 for Alderman John Graham. According to Maurice Craig, possibly designed by Sir William Robinson. Demolished in the 1950s. Replaced by a smaller house on the...

13 March 2012

1700c – Last Cage-work House, Dublin

Drawing of the last surviving cage-work house in Dublin on the corner of Castle Street and Werburgh Street, demolished around 1812. This building was probably post-medieval in date, but typical of many houses...

24 June 2014

1700s – Library Square, Trinity College Dublin

From Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837 “The second quadrangle, called the Library-square, is 265 feet in length and 214 feet in breadth. Three sides of it are occupied by uniform ranges...

15 November 2013

1700s – Northern Range of the Rubrics, Trinity College Dublin

Demolished to make way for the Graduates Memorial Building of 1902, the Rubrics once formed a quadrangle of similar buildings. One range remains to the east, but with the addition of dutch gables...

27 March 2012

1701 – Statue of William of Orange, College Green, Dublin

Architect: Of all the military and royal statuary in Dublin, that of William III drew most aggression, serving as it did as a focal point for annual Orange celebrations on July 1, the...