Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Lost Buildings of Ireland

01 April 2014

1925 – Engine Roundhouse, Portadown, Co. Armagh

Architect: F.A. Champion One of two roundhouses to the same design on the Great Northern Railway system – the other at Clones still stands today. Built in 1925 out of reinforced concrete, its...

22 April 2013

1928 – First Church of Christ, Scientist, Baggot St., Dublin

Architect: Millar & Symes Millar & Symes were well-known for designing bank buildings, and this church, designed in 1925, resembles one. The foundation stone was laid in 1927, with the church opening in...

16 January 2011

1930 – Cork Gas Consumer Co., Patrick St., Cork

Architect: Chillingworth & Levie Remodelled in an art deco style in 1930 by Daniel A. Levie. Demolished.

15 December 2011

1932 – Designs for a Customs Hut, Belcoo, Co. Fermanagh

Architect: Department of Works & Public Buildings Alternative plans for a proposed ‘Customs Examination Station’ to be located at Belcoo in December 1933.

03 October 2013

1932 – Eucharistic Conference, Phoenix Park, Dublin

Architect: John J. Robinson The 31st International Eucharistic Congress, held in Dublin 22–26 June 1932, was one of the largest eucharistic congresses of the 20th century. The final public mass of the congress...

26 November 2013

1932 – Pissoir, Upper Ormond Quay, Dublin

One the French style pissoirs imported prior to the 1932 Dublin Eucharistic Congress as part of a ‘clean up Dublin’ campaign. Removed sometime during the 1970s. Supposedly sold by Dublin Corporation to a...

17 September 2012

1934 – Gasholder, Sir John Rogerson’s Quay, Dublin

This massive gasholder structure dominated the Dublin Skyline for many years. Constructed by the Alliance and Dublin Consumers Gas Company at the corner of Sir John Rogerson’s Quay and Cardiff Lane. Demolished by...

15 December 2011

1935 – Theatre Royal, Hawkins St., Dublin

Architect: Leslie Norton The third Theatre Royal opened on September 23, 1935 in Hawkins Street. Designed by English architect Leslie Norton in conjunction with Dublin firm Scott & Good. It was a large...

12 January 2015

1936 – Rialto Cinema, South Circular Road, Dublin

Architect: Frederick James Macaulay Opened in November 1936 and closed in 1970. A large auditorium designed to seat 1600, meant that it was usable as a car showroom, a function it carried out...