Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Lost Buildings of Ireland

14 November 2014

1713 – House, Marrowbone Lane, Dublin

“As a characteristic and somewhat fantastic specimen of the houses of that period, we have prefixed an elevation of one which stood in Marrowbone-lane, in the Liberty, and which was taken down in...

09 April 2013

1714 – Corkagh House, Clondalkin, Co. Dublin

Corkagh House originally started as a small farmhouse built circa 1650 which was later extended between 1702 and 1714 when a large wing of eight bays and a parapeted roof was constructed. This...

17 July 2010

1714 – St. Luke’s Church, The Coombe, Dublin

Architect: Thomas Burgh In 1708, an act of parliament was passed which divided the parish of St. Nicholas Without and giving part of it the denomination of St. Luke’s. A Glebe House was...

15 April 2013

1720 – Menlough Castle, Galway

A sixteenth-century tower house which has been altered and enlarged at various periods – notably with a two-bay four-storey block of c.1720. A 17th century tower house with substantial additions. In 1786 Wilson...

31 May 2013

1722 – Statue of George I, Essex Bridge, Dublin

Sculptor: John van Nost the Elder Erected on a elevated pedestal on the upstream side of what was then Essex Bridge in 1722. Commissioned in 1717 as “a grateful acknowledgement of the many...

08 May 2012

1727 – Corn Market House, Thomas St., Dublin

The Corn Market building was a long arcaded structure, the ground floor of which was completely open to the street. With thirteen arches on each side, and a central cupola, it was a...

13 December 2011

1728 – Linen Hall, Yarnhall St., Dublin

Architect: Thomas Burgh, Thomas Cooley In 1722 a centralised Linen Hall was proposed by the Linen Board and several sites around the city were considered and dismissed. The Linen Board eventually decided in...

19 March 2012

1730 – French Park, Co. Roscommon

Architect: Richard Cassels Large three storey mansion with two storey wings connected by simple curved sweeps. Similar in design to houses at Strokestown and the Bishop’s Palace at Elphin. In 1952 Lord de...

30 January 2014

1730 – Tollymore Park, Bryansford, Co. Down

Architect: Thomas Wright / Charles Lanyon / James Rawson Carroll Much extended country house, around four sides of a courtyard, designed and added to by a number of architects. The original house was...