Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Lost Buildings of Ireland

30 January 2014

1730 – Tollymore Park, Bryansford, Co. Down

Architect: Thomas Wright / Charles Lanyon / James Rawson Carroll Much extended country house, around four sides of a courtyard, designed and added to by a number of architects. The original house was...

08 June 2012

1730s – La Touche Bank, Cork Hill, Dublin

The La Touches were a Huguenots family from the Loire, who fled to Holland on the Revocation of the Edict of Nantes. They later moved to Ireland, becoming involved in the weaving trade...

30 September 2012

1731 – Summerhill, Co. Meath

Architect: Edward Lovett Pearce / Richard Cassels Summerhill House was a 100 roomed country house which was the ancestral seat of the Langford Rowley family. They owned large amounts of land in counties...

26 March 2013

1733 – Desart Court, Callan, Co. Kilkenny

Architect: Edward Lovett Pearce A Palladian house of two storeys over a basement, joined to two two-storey wings by curved sweeps from around 1733, and attributed to Edward Lovett Pearce. The centre block...

25 April 2013

1733 – The Deanery House, Fishamble Street, Dublin

Architect: Edward Lovett Pearce Designed by Sir Edward Lovett Pearce for Dean Welbore Ellis. Although it looked like a single house, it in-fact contained three houses, one each for the Dean, Chancellor and...

14 September 2012

1736 – Gill Hall, Dromore, Co. Down

Architect: Richard Cassels The Gill Hall estate was named after a Captain Magill an officer in Cromwell’s Army, prior to the 1641 rebellion he is said to have obtained half the townland of...

13 December 2013

1739 – Frescati House, Blackrock, Co. Dublin

Built for the provost of Trinity College, John Hely Hutchinson, it was later acquired in the 1750s by the Fitzgerald dukes of Leinster. rescati became one of their three principal residences alongside Leinster...

04 April 2011

1747 – Woodstock House, Inistioge, Co. Kilkenny

Architect: Francis Bindon / William Robertson Originally built 1845-47 for Sir William Fownes to designs by Francis Bindon. Later extended with flanking wings by William Robertson in 1804-06. A later conservatory c.1860 was...

13 March 2012

1747 – Leinster House Gateway, Dublin

Architect: Richard Cassels Former gateway to Leinster House which terminated the vista of Molesworth Street from Dawson Street. Demolished with the development of the National Museum and Library adjacent to Leinster House in...