Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Lost Buildings of Ireland

17 November 2014

1747 – Weavers Hall, The Coombe, Dublin

Architect: Joseph Jarratt A weavers’ hall had been built by The Weavers’ Guild, The Guild of the Blessed Virgin Mary, in the Lower Coombe in 1682. In 1745, when the building of a...

30 November 2011

1748 – Royal Charter School, Clontarf

Architect: In 1733 King George III granted a charter that provided protestant education for the poor. The chartered school system attempted to educate children in the scriptures as well as teaching them about...

02 April 2010

1750s – Marino House, Clontarf, Co. Dublin

The home of James Caulfeild, 1st Earl of Charlemont, who was responsible for hiring William Chambers to design the nearby Casino on the estate. Lord Charlemont was well known for his love of...

09 April 2012

1752 – Moira House, Dublin

Architect: Built as the Dublin home of the Earls of Moira. Later became part of the Mendicity Institute which mirrored the composition so that the original Moira House was the right hand side...

21 November 2014

1756 – Nos 1-4 Kildare Place, Dublin

Architect: Richard Cassels / John Ensor Originally Kildare Place consisted of four houses onto a small square bordered by Kildare Street. Nos 2 & 3 were designed by Richard Cassels, and probably executed...

23 March 2013

1758 – Statue of George II, St. Stephen’s Green, Dublin

Sculptor: John Van Nost the Younger This was the first statue to be erected in St. Stephen’s Green, and was commissioned by Dublin Corporation. The statue depicted King George II in full triumphant...

05 November 2011

1760s – Devon Castle, Newcastle West, Co. Limerick

The original Fitzgerald castle was granted to the Courtenay family in 1591. The Castle was occupied by David Mahony and his son Peirce Mahony in the mid 18th century. Bence Jones writes that...

21 March 2013

1761 – Statue of George II, South Mall, Cork

Architect: John Van Nost the Younger Equestrian statue of George II, erected 7 July and unveiled 16 Jul 1761. Originally was situated in the centre of Tuckey’s Bridge which connected Tuckey’s Quay, now...

14 December 2011

1762 – St. Thomas’s Church, Marlborough St., Dublin

Architect: John Smyth Construction started in 1758 and took four years to complete. Based on Palladio’s church of the Rendentore at Venice. Described by Malton as ‘…the church of St Thomas is an...