Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Carlow

18 June 2013

1625 – Huntingdon Castle, Clonegal, Co Carlow

Huntington Castle was built in 1625 as a garrison on the strategically important Wexford to Dublin route. After 50 years the soldiers moved out and the Esmonde family began to convert it into...

09 March 2013

1731 – Borris House, Borris, Co. Carlow

Architect: Richard Morrison & William Vitruvius Morrison The ancestral home of the Mcmorrough Kavanaghs, High Kings of Leinster, and originally an important castle guarding the River Barrow, Borris House was rebuilt in 1731....

19 March 2012

1794 – Obilisque Pedestils and Orrens

Architect: Michael Nowlan Inscription reads: “A Plan of an Obilisque Pedestils and Orrens to be done for Samuel Faulkner Esq. To be erected over the gateway at the entrance to the Forth. December...

22 November 2011

1800 – House Design, Co. Carlow

Architect: Plan of a House, front elevation, basement, ground & first floor, inscribed on outside, and dated Carlow 1800.

18 June 2013

1830 – Duckett’s Grove, Carlow, Co. Carlow

Architect: Thomas A. Cobden / John Macduff Derick In his book A Guide to Irish Country Houses Mark Bence-Jones describes Duckett’s Grove as a “square house of two and three storeys, transformed into...

09 March 2013

1832 – Old School, Borris, Co. Carlow

Architect: Eccentric design with unusual tower, with Tudor Revival touches for a catholic school. The Old School closed in 1980 and has been used by different community groups since. The building is inscribed...

09 March 2013

1833 – Cathedral of the Assumption, Carlow, Co. Carlow

Architect: Thomas A. Cobden The construction of Carlow Cathedral started in 1826 under the supervision of the architect Joseph Lynch who was succeeded by the architect Thomas Cobden in 1829 who changed the...

26 March 2011

1834 – Courthouse, Carlow, Co. Carlow

Architect: William Vitruvius Morrison Carlow Courthouse was designed by William Vitruvius Morrison in 1830,completed in 1834, and is considered one of his finest works. It is built of Carlow granite and gives the...

27 November 2012

1835 – Ballydarton House, Fenagh, Co. Carlow

Architect: Daniel Robertson This is a detached two-storey Tudor Revival country house with half-dormer attic, built c.1830, with three-stage battlemented tower to centre on a square plan, cut stone dressings including mullioned bay...

Pages:123Next »