Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Carlow

27 November 2012

1836 – Mount Leinster Lodge, Co. Carlow

Architect: Daniel Robertson Detached four-bay two-storey Tudor Revival house with half-dormer attic, c. 1840, on an asymmetrical plan with granite ashlar façade having carved stone dressings including mullioned bay and oriel windows and...

27 November 2012

1840s – Dunleckney Manor, Bagenalstown, Co. Carlow

Architect: Daniel Robertson Sir Nicholas Bagenal came to Ulster as Marshal of Elizabeth 1st’s army, settled in County Carlow and founded Bagenalstown. The family’s first house at Dunleckney was built in about 1610...

13 April 2009

1846 – Carlow Railway Station, Co. Carlow

Architect: Sir John MacNeill A good example of Jacobean Revival architecture, comprising a two storey central block and two single storey wings. Finished in yellow brick with granite features particularly in the window...

09 March 2013

1850 – Railway Station, Bagenalstown, Co. Carlow

Architect: Sancton Wood Wonderful symmetrical composition with a stationmaster’s house in the upper floor of the central building. His quarter have a small balcony over the ticket hall.The building suffers visually from the...

07 March 2013

1855 – Gateway to Duckett’s Grove, Co. Carlow

Architect: John Macduff Derick Fantastically muscular design for the main gateway to Duckett’s Grove – with a total extant of 240feet including two gateways, and an array of towers. The architect was originally...

19 March 2012

1859 – St. Austin’s Abbey, Tullow, Co. Carlow

Architect: Deane & Woodward St. Austin’s Abbey was built in the 1850’s by Charles Henry Doyne youngest son of Robert Doyne. The architects were Sir Thomas Newenham Deane and Benjamin Woodward. The house...

26 March 2014

1867 – Schools, Carlow, Co. Carlow

Architect: John McCurdy Strongly reminiscent of the work of Deane and Woodward of a decade before. “With this number we give an illustration of schools at present being erect at Carlow. They are...

07 March 2013

1913 – Church of Christ the Redeemer, Myshall, Co. Carlow

Architect: G.C. Ashlin Also known as the Adelaide Memorial Church. Built as a memorial to Constance Duguid, an englishwoman who was engaged to be married to a member of a local landowning family....

26 February 2010

2002 – Unbuilt Carlow – National Centre for Contemporary Art

Architects: Burns Burke Simpson The competition was an open two stage architectural competition for the design of for the architectural/design services for a National Centre for Contemporary Art. Carlow enjoys a national reputation...