Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Dublin City

09 June 2010

13th C. – St Audoen’s Gate, Dublin City Walls, High Street, Dublin

The two remaining stretches of the City Wall visible above ground can be seen at St Audoen’s Church and at the nearby Cornmarket although portions of the city wall, gates and towers have...

19 September 2012

15th C. – Brown’s Castle, Dublin

Approximately where Cornmarket is now, Brown’s Castle was better known as the Black Dog prison. The castle became a tavern from which the prison got its name. From the early 18th century the...

14 February 2014

1674 – Yarranton proposal for canals and harbour, Ringsend

Andrew Yarranton, (1619-1684), a former soldier in the English Civil War, travelled throughout England and northern Europe as civil engineer. He worked as a consultant and entrepreneur on mines, metalworks, canals, railways and...

25 January 2010

1680 – Royal Hospital Kilmainham, Dublin

Architect: Sir William Robinson The Royal Hospital Kilmainham is a mile and a half west of the city centre and at the time of its construction the site was part of the Phoenix...

19 February 2010

1680 – State Apartments, Dublin Castle

The State Apartments in Dublin Castle were originally constructed as living accommodation for the Lord Lieutenant. The Lord Lieutenants preferred the comforts of the Phoenix Park residence however and tended to live there...

09 December 2011

1682 – Tholsel, Dublin

Architect: The name “Tholsel” is derived from two old English words: “toll”, meaning tax; and “sael”, or hall, the place where tolls were paid. In the middle ages it served as court house,...

13 April 2010

1686 – St Michan’s Church of Ireland, Church Street, Dublin

Architect: Sir William Robinson This structure dates from 1685-86 and was built on the site of an earlier structure founded by the Danes in 1095. Originally St Michan’s was built to serve the...

17 October 2010

1699 – West Front, Trinity College Dublin

Illustration of the original west front of Trinity College, as illustrated in Charles Brookings map of 1728. Demolished in the 1750s. According to Edward McParland’s Public Architecture in Ireland 1680-1760, the wings were...

08 February 2010

1700 – The Rubrics, Trinity College Dublin

The Rubrics are the oldest existing buildings in Trinity College and were built around 1700. Originally part of a quadrangle of similar buildings, this is the sole remaining block and closes the square...