Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Dublin City

19 February 2010

1720 – Upper Yard, Dublin Castle

In the eighteenth century as the Georgian streetscape of Dublin was being developed, the castle was redeveloped also. A young architect believed to be Sir Edward Lovett Pearce redesigned the upper yard using...

31 May 2013

1722 – Statue of George I, Essex Bridge, Dublin

Sculptor: John van Nost the Elder Erected on a elevated pedestal on the upstream side of what was then Essex Bridge in 1722. Commissioned in 1717 as “a grateful acknowledgement of the many...

20 February 2012

1726 – Drumcondra House, Dublin

Architect: Edward Lovett Pearce Designed by Sir Edward Lovett Pearce and was built in 1726 for Sir Marmaduke Coghill who had lived in nearby Belvedere House. In 1842 Drumcondra House was rented by...

08 May 2012

1727 – Corn Market House, Thomas St., Dublin

The Corn Market building was a long arcaded structure, the ground floor of which was completely open to the street. With thirteen arches on each side, and a central cupola, it was a...

13 December 2011

1728 – Linen Hall, Yarnhall St., Dublin

Architect: Thomas Burgh, Thomas Cooley In 1722 a centralised Linen Hall was proposed by the Linen Board and several sites around the city were considered and dismissed. The Linen Board eventually decided in...

23 June 2010

1730 – No.10 Henrietta Street, Dublin

Architect: Edward Lovett Pearce It was built circa 1730 by Luke Gardiner as his own residence. The design of the original building has been attributed to Sir Edward Lovett Pearce. The building is...

08 June 2012

1730s – La Touche Bank, Cork Hill, Dublin

The La Touches were a Huguenots family from the Loire, who fled to Holland on the Revocation of the Edict of Nantes. They later moved to Ireland, becoming involved in the weaving trade...

08 February 2010

1732 – Long Room Library, Trinity College Dublin

Architect: Thomas Burgh The old Library of Trinity College (old because of a newer neighbour built by Ahrends Burton Koralak) is Thomas Burgh’s masterpiece. A huge building, it originally towered over the university...

25 April 2013

1733 – The Deanery House, Fishamble Street, Dublin

Architect: Edward Lovett Pearce Designed by Sir Edward Lovett Pearce for Dean Welbore Ellis. Although it looked like a single house, it in-fact contained three houses, one each for the Dean, Chancellor and...