Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Dublin City

08 June 2012

1730s – La Touche Bank, Cork Hill, Dublin

The La Touches were a Huguenots family from the Loire, who fled to Holland on the Revocation of the Edict of Nantes. They later moved to Ireland, becoming involved in the weaving trade...

08 February 2010

1732 – Long Room Library, Trinity College Dublin

Architect: Thomas Burgh The old Library of Trinity College (old because of a newer neighbour built by Ahrends Burton Koralak) is Thomas Burgh’s masterpiece. A huge building, it originally towered over the university...

25 April 2013

1733 – The Deanery House, Fishamble Street, Dublin

Architect: Edward Lovett Pearce Designed by Sir Edward Lovett Pearce for Dean Welbore Ellis. Although it looked like a single house, it in-fact contained three houses, one each for the Dean, Chancellor and...

08 February 2010

1734 – Printing House, Trinity College Dublin

Architect: Richard Cassels This is probably Richard Cassel’s first independent work in Dublin. It is a little building with a doric temple front, but unusual for Cassels in that the columns are true...

21 February 2010

1738 – Newman House, St. Stephen’s Green, Dublin

Architect: Richard Cassels Like Iveagh House further along St Stephen’s Green, Newman House is obviously two houses planted together due to the lack of a unifying facade. The smaller house (No. 85) was...

14 December 2009

1740 – Tyrone House, Marlborough St., Dublin

Architect: Richard Cassels Cassels designed this Dublin town house for Marcus Beresford, Earl of Tyrone, in Marlborough Street between 1740 and 1745. A fine example of Cassels’ robust sober style. The central Venetian...

09 December 2013

1743 – Church of Ireland, Drumcondra, Dublin

In 1743 the dilapidated old church of the parish of Clonturk was rebuilt by a Miss Coghill as a memorial to her brother, Dr. Marmaduke Coghill, who died in 1738. After the renovations,...

18 February 2010

1745 – Leinster House, Kildare Street, Dublin

Architect: Richard Cassels Leinster House was designed by Richard Cassels in 1745 for the Earls of Kildare and Leinster, The Fitzgeralds. At this time, this area was undeveloped and known as the lands...

13 March 2012

1747 – Leinster House Gateway, Dublin

Architect: Richard Cassels Former gateway to Leinster House which terminated the vista of Molesworth Street from Dawson Street. Demolished with the development of the National Museum and Library adjacent to Leinster House in...