Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Dublin City

05 February 2010

1747 – Phoenix Monument, Phoenix Park, Dublin

A Corinthian column with a Phoenix rising from the ashes at its pinnacle. It was erected by Lord Chesterfield in 1747. During the early part of the twentieth century, it was moved from...

17 November 2014

1747 – Weavers Hall, The Coombe, Dublin

Architect: Joseph Jarratt A weavers’ hall had been built by The Weavers’ Guild, The Guild of the Blessed Virgin Mary, in the Lower Coombe in 1682. In 1745, when the building of a...

11 June 2010

1748 – Rotunda Hospital, Parnell Square, Dublin

Architect: Richard Cassels The Rotunda Hospital officially the Dublin Lying-in Hospital was the first maternity hospital in Britain or Ireland and was at one time the largest in the world. Really it is...

30 November 2011

1748 – Royal Charter School, Clontarf

Architect: In 1733 King George III granted a charter that provided protestant education for the poor. The chartered school system attempted to educate children in the scriptures as well as teaching them about...

23 June 2010

1750 – Dominick Street, Dublin

This was developed by the Dominick family in the 1750s and for a time was very fashionable with some fine house being developed. The street went into terminal decline after the Act of...

10 June 2010

1750 – No.5 South Leinster Street, Dublin

Beautifully restored in 2007/08, this fine Georgian building with later Victorian external details adjoins and is surrounded by the National Gallery of Ireland wing by Benson + Forsyth. Originally intended to be demolished,...

09 June 2010

1750 – No.6 South Leinster Street, Dublin

A Georgian house from around 1750, this building now contains offices. Maintained in good condition, the interior has a fine staircase and entrance hall.

02 April 2010

1750s – Marino House, Clontarf, Co. Dublin

The home of James Caulfeild, 1st Earl of Charlemont, who was responsible for hiring William Chambers to design the nearby Casino on the estate. Lord Charlemont was well known for his love of...

05 February 2010

1751 – Aras an Uachtarain, Phoenix Park, Dublin

Architect: John Ensor Aras an Uachtarain is the Official Residence of the President of Ireland, and was formerly the Viceregal Lodge until independence in 1922. The original house was built by Park Ranger...