Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Dun Laoghaire Rathdown

03 July 2014

1742 – Obelisk, Killiney Hill, Co. Dublin

The Obelisk bears the inscription: “Last year being hard with the poor, walks about these hills and this were erected by John Mapas, June 1742.” The structure consists of a square base with...

10 June 2014

1908 – Swimming Baths, Dun Laoghaire, Co. Dublin

Architect: Kaye-Parry & Ross Originally opened in 1842 and rebuilt by the town council in 1908. In 1843, John Croswaithe built baths on the corner of Scotsman’s Bay. Originally known as the Royal...

27 May 2014

1867 – St. Philip Church of Ireland, Milltown, Co. Dublin

Architect: Sir Thomas Drew Commissioned in 1864but not completed for several years, and designed to serve a new suburb of Dublin. Entrance to the church is through an open porch beneath an intended...

06 May 2014

1743 – Hall’s Barn, Churchtown, Co. Dublin

The Bottle Tower or Hall’s Barn, was commissioned in 1743 by Major Hall of Whitehall House, Co. Dublin. Although the house is gone, the barn still stands, though in quite poor condition. Created...

14 April 2014

1880s – Boland’s Bakery, 9 Georges St., Dun Laoghaire, Co. Dublin

One of the Boland’s retail shops around Dublin, this shop on George’s Street was a fine Victorian building, with ornate stucco and shopfront. Boland’s had several bakeries in the city as well as...

14 April 2014

1880 – Boland’s Bakery, 14 Cumberland St., Dun Laoghaire, Co. Dublin

Boland’s Bakey at one time had a network or shops as well as bakeries around Dublin. There was two outlets in Dun Laoghaire, then Kingstown, and what was described as a “model bakery”....

01 April 2014

1870 – Gatelodge and School, Dalkey, Co. Dublin

Architect: E.H. Carson Combined gate-house and school building for St. Patrick’s Church of Ireland in Dalkey. Still standing today although missing the top of the small tower. A parishioner Charles Leslie presented the...

18 March 2014

1881 – Gate Lodge, Dalguise, Monkstown, Co. Dublin

Architect: William Mitchell Design exhibited at the RHA Exhibition of 1881 and published in The Irish Builder, November 1 1881.

11 March 2014

1868 – St. Paul’s Church of Ireland, Glenageary, Co. Dublin

Architect: Alfred G. Jones The cost of this church was provided out of a bequest by a Miss Jane Shannon, a wealthy lady of Belfast, left to build a number of churches in...