Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Dun Laoghaire Rathdown

28 January 2010

1821 – King George IV Monument, Dun Laoghaire, Co. Dublin

The town was officially renamed Kingstown in 1821 in honour of a visit by the British King George IV, but reverted to its ancient Irish name by resolution of the town council in...

01 October 2012

1821 – Memorial of Kings Visit to Ireland, Dun Laoghaire

To commemorate the visit of King George IV to Ireland, the first occasion a British monarch had visited Ireland since the reign of Richard II. “The small truncated pyramidal Column at Kingstown which...

16 April 2013

1824 – St. Philip and St. James Church, Booterstown, Co. Dublin

Architect: John Bowden & J. Rawson Carroll Constructed on a site donated by the Earl of Pembroke and funded a grant by the Board of First Fruits, a further donation of money by...

06 May 2013

1826 – Church of Ireland, Kilternan, Co. Dublin

Architect: John Semple Church building readily identifiable as the work of Semple with later interior decoration from the early twentieth century – including stained glass and reredos. Built by John Richardson on a...

26 January 2010

1830 – Monkstown Church of Ireland, Co. Dublin

Architect: John Semple & John McCurdy Originally built in 1789, but re-modelled in 1830 by John Semple, the Church of Ireland in Monkstown is an extravagant piece of 19th century church architecture. Extended...

18 November 2010

1840 – Carrigrehane, Dalkey, Co. Dublin

Architect: Tudor-style house built in a robust asymmetrical design overlooking Dublin bay.

15 October 2012

1841 – Manderley Castle, Killiney, Co. Dublin

Architect: Sandham Symes Probably designed by Sandham Symes for his grandfather Robert Warren, and originally named to commemorate Queen Victoria’s accession to the throne. Essentially a large suburban house, in extensive private grounds,...

28 January 2010

1842 – Royal St. George Yacht Club, Dun Laoghaire, Co. Dublin

Architect: John Skipton Mulvany / George Papworth A fine facade dominated by classical columns in a design of pedimented pavilions – designed over a period of some years and by two different architects....

18 November 2007

1842 – Sorrento Terrace, Dalkey, Co. Dublin

Architect: Located on the easternmost end of Dalkey’s heritage village overlooking Killiney Bay, the row of eight four-storey houses with wraparound sea views has traditionally been an oasis of professional class anonymity. These...