Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Dun Laoghaire Rathdown

27 May 2014

1867 – St. Philip Church of Ireland, Milltown, Co. Dublin

Architect: Sir Thomas Drew Commissioned in 1864but not completed for several years, and designed to serve a new suburb of Dublin. Entrance to the church is through an open porch beneath an intended...

11 March 2014

1868 – St. Paul’s Church of Ireland, Glenageary, Co. Dublin

Architect: Alfred G. Jones The cost of this church was provided out of a bequest by a Miss Jane Shannon, a wealthy lady of Belfast, left to build a number of churches in...

03 January 2013

1869 – St. Joseph’s Church, Glasthule, Co. Dublin

Architect: Pugin & Ashlin Completed by Ashlin after the demise of the partnership, although the original tower and spire designed by Pugin & Ashlin was never constructed. A later tower proposed by Ashlin...

01 April 2014

1870 – Gatelodge and School, Dalkey, Co. Dublin

Architect: E.H. Carson Combined gate-house and school building for St. Patrick’s Church of Ireland in Dalkey. Still standing today although missing the top of the small tower. A parishioner Charles Leslie presented the...

27 September 2009

1870 – School, Mounttown, Dun Laoghaire, Co. Dublin

Architect: Welland & Gillespie

27 January 2010

1871 – Former Royal Bank, Dun Laoghaire, Co. Dublin

Architect: Charles Geoghegan Imposing 19th century bank (No. 102 Upper Georges Street) now in use as a commercial premises. The building has a high quality stone fa├žade at street level. Possibly designed by...

17 September 2009

1875 – St. Michael’s Hospital & Proposed Convent of Mercy, Dun Laoghaire, Co. Dublin

Architect: John L. Robinson From The Architect, November 20, 1875: Thiis another charitable institution managed by the Sisters of Mercy at the desire of the Very Rev. Monsignor McCabe, P.P., to meet the...

17 September 2009

1878 – New Magdalen Asylum & Laundry & Proposed Convent, Dun Laoghaire, Co. Dublin

Architect: John L. Robinson

17 September 2009

1878 – Presbytery & Industrial Schools Booterstown, Co. Dublin

Architect: John L. Robinson In Ireland the Industrial Schools Act of 1868 established industrial schools (Irish: scoileanna saothair) to care for “neglected, orphaned and abandoned children”. In recent times these schools have become...