Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Dun Laoghaire Rathdown

22 November 2011

1949 – Aspro Factory, Dublin

Architect: Alan Hope Drawing for design of staircase and entrance foyer. Winner of the RIAI Gold Medal for the period 1947-1950. Demolished.

27 January 2010

1953 – Passenger Terminal, Carlisle Pier, Dun Laoghaire, Co. Dublin

Architect: Office of Public Works Recently demolished, this 1950s ferry terminal hid a Victorian railway station. The passenger terminal was designed as a temporary measure to be replaced at a later stage with...

11 August 2013

1966 – Stillorgan Shopping Centre, Stillorgan, Co. Dublin

Architect:John Costello & Associates Opened in 1966 as Ireland’s first shopping centre. Essentially an open air private streetscape with covered walkways, the complex is still quite as designed, with more recent shop facades...

04 February 2010

1969 – Restaurant Building, University College Dublin, Co. Dublin

Architect: Scott Tallon Walker The UCD restaurant building was awarded the RIAI Gold Medal for 1968-70. The citation read:”This elegant building is part of the UCD campus in Belfield. It is sited in...

04 February 2010

1972 – Administration Building, University College Dublin, Co. Dublin

Architect: Andrzej Wejchert In 1964, a competition to design a masterplan for the UCD campus at Belfield was won by young Polish architect Andrzei Wejchert. The assessors report stated that “The keynote of...

04 February 2010

1973 – Library, University College Dublin, Co. Dublin

Architect: Scott Tallon Walker The James Joyce Library is the central branch of the UCD Library system, housing Arts, Celtic Studies, Human Sciences, Business (Undergraduate), Law, Science, Agriculture, Civil & Biosystems Engineering.

27 January 2010

1973 – St Michael’s Church, Dun Laoghaire, Co. Dublin

Architect: C.J. McCarthy / Sean Rothery, Pearse McKenna, Naois O’Dowd In 1968, the fine Gothic church design by Dublin City Architect C.J. MaCarthy, himself the son of leading church architect J.J. McCarthy, burned...

04 February 2010

1979 – Agriculture Block, University College Dublin, Co. Dublin

Architect: Scott Tallon Walker A strong muscular almost brutalist facade treatment gives the Agriculture building a stern and forbidding appearance.

30 June 2010

1994 – O’Reilly Hall, University College Dublin, Co. Dublin

Architect: Scott Tallon Walker By the 1990s the need was recognized for an “˜aula maxima’ for University College Dublin as a home for conferring, alumni events and general conference. A lakeside site was...