Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Fingal

03 October 2012

9th C. Round Tower, Swords, Co. Dublin

All that remains of a 14th century church is the square belfry. The site of the old church being rebuilt upon by the Church of Ireland in 1811. Closeby is a 9th century...

03 February 2011

1200 – St. Doulagh’s Church, Balgriffin, Co. Dublin

The oldest part of the church as it stands is medieval, dating from the 12th century, and believed to have been home to a small monastic settlement. The main historic building is 48...

03 October 2012

1200 – Swords Castle, Co. Dublin

Built around 1200 as an episcopal manor, as the residence of the Archbishop of Dublin. Five sided around a considerable courtyard with elements from the 13th, 14th and 15th centuries. The chapel was...

19 September 2012

1260 – Baldongan Castle & Church, Co. Dublin

The castle was constructed in the mid 13th Century, possibly by the Knights Templar, rectangular in plan with towers on each corner. The church was built in the 15th century and was also...

28 January 2010

1450 – Howth Castle, Co. Dublin

The current building is not the original Howth Castle, which was on the high slopes by the village and the sea. The English architect Sir Edwin Lutyens restyled a 14th century castle built...

28 January 2010

1450 – St. Mary’s Community House, Howth, Co. Dublin

The nearby church of St Mary was collegiate and it was here that the community lived. In poor repair for many years, the building has some fine details including the window illustrated. Recently...

28 January 2010

1525 – The Small Windmill, Skerries, Co. Dublin

Skerries has a long tradition of harnessing wind and water power, and in the period 1821 to 1839 two working windmills are recorded. The mill with its waterwheel and two windmills have been...

30 March 2011

1703 – Santry Court, Santry, Co. Dublin

Architect: Santry Court – was am early 18th century mansion of red brick with stone facings, built in 1703 by the 3rd Lord Barry of Santry. It was of two storeys over a...

21 January 2010

1736 – Newbridge House, Donabate, Co. Dublin

Newbridge House is a very fine example of a Georgian mansion within Newbridge Demesne Regional Park. It was built by Archbishop Charles Cobbe in 1736 and remained the family home of the Cobbe...