Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Fingal

21 January 2010

1813 – St. George’s Church of Ireland, Balbriggan, Co. Dublin

Architect: Welland & Gillespie Detached early Gothic Revival Church of Ireland church, built in 1813, on a T-shaped plan comprising of three-bay nave transversed at third bay by single-bay transepts to east. In...

28 January 2010

1814 – Bailey Lighthouse, Howth, Co. Dublin

Fine lighthouse on a rocky promontory marking the northernmost point of Dublin bay. A two-stage ashlar granite lighthouse with metal-framed glazed lantern, attached to five-bay three-storey block to north-west. Single- and two-storey coastguard...

28 January 2010

1817 – Harbour Lighthouse, Howth, Co. Dublin

Architect: George Halpin Fine lighthouse on the end of the southern arm of the harbour. The lighthouse also had a defensive purpose, a circular wall alongside defends a gun position. Two-bay two-storey ashlar...

28 January 2010

1820 – Former Church, Howth, Co. Dublin

Fine stone 19th century church now in alternative use, with large roundheaded window centred on symetrical main facade.

27 October 2011

1827 – Kenure House, Rush, Co. Dublin

Architect: George Papworth Rebuilt in 1827 on the site of an earlier house, destroyed by fire. In 1964 the contents of Kenure House were auctioned, and the estate, which was also known as...

28 January 2010

1840 – Skerries Mill, Co. Dublin

Water mill, from about 1840, comprising of multiple-bay two-storey roughly dressed rubble stone buildings with mill pond, mill-race, sluice gates and waterwheel.

28 January 2010

1840 – St Lawrence House, Howth, Co. Dublin

A fine house later converted into a small hotel and much extended. After closure, most of the extensions were demolished and redeveloped as an apartment complex.

21 January 2010

1844 – Courthouse, Balbriggan, Co. Dublin

Fine small stone courthouse with courtroom lit by three round-headed windows.

28 January 2010

1845 – Old Courthouse, Howth, Co. Dublin

Detached four-bay single-storey former place of worship, c.1845, with projecting entrance porch to west gable. In use as courthouse to 1970, now in use as offices. Notice inside states that the building was...