Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Fingal

21 January 2010

1859 – St George’s School, Balbriggan, Co. Dublin

Architect: Sandham Symes St George’s Parish (Church of Ireland) school, Hampton Street, Balbriggan was provided in 1859 by George Woods of Milverton Hall to the design of Sandham Symes.

21 January 2010

1860 – Ardgillan Glasshouse, Balbriggan, Co. Dublin

Dating from around 1860, this fine and recently restored glasshouse is made of timber rather than cast iron. The glasshouses are set in the gardens of Ardgillan Castle and are open to the...

28 January 2010

1860 – Former Findlater’s, Howth, Co. Dublin

Findlater’s was once a chain of food and wine merchants in the Dublin area. This was built as their Howth store and later became a bar as part of a local hotel complex....

21 January 2010

1860 – Station Master’s House, Balbriggan, Co. Dublin

A fine little house sited beside the railway station and built for the Station Master. Similar to other station master’s houses on this line, notably Malahide and Skerries. Photographic Copyright 2006 Gerry Byrne

14 March 2012

1860s – Bridge, Dublin & Drogheda Railway, Skerries, Co. Dublin

Architect: Maurice H. Wilkinson Surveyor Bridge for Barnageeragh Road on the outskirts of Skerries, original drawing with elevation, section and plans. Bridge still in use today.

28 January 2010

1865 – Church of Ireland, Skerries, Co. Dublin

Architect: J.E. Rogers A gothic revival church commissioned by Lord Holmpatrick and sited close to the older and now ruined church and churchyard. The building has quite an austere exterior despite its off-centre...

28 January 2010

1866 – St Mary’s Church of Ireland, Howth, Co. Dublin

Architect: J.E. Rogers St Mary’s stands on a pretty elevated site next to the entrance to Howth Castle. Designed by J.E. Rogers, who was a student of Benjamin Woodward, it is an attractive...

28 January 2010

1870 – Hamilton Monument, Skerries, Co. Dublin

A small little obelisk commemorating a local landowner. This simple monument would benefit from some landscaping – perhaps a larger traffic island to allow people to approach it.

19 December 2012

1870s – Loreto Convent, Balbriggan, Co. Dublin

Although a convent and school still exists on this site, the buildings illustrated are either gone or unrecognisable. The school was started in 1857 when they took over the house with curved bays...