Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Dublin South

22 January 2010

776 – Round Tower, Clondalkin, Co. Dublin

Well preserved 8th century round tower that acts as a focal point for the area. Acknowledged as one of the oldest and best preserved in the country, it is 84 feet high and...

26 January 2010

1583 – Rathfarnham Castle, Co. Dublin

The date of the foundation of the Castle is uncertain, but recent research would suggest 1583 as the most likely date. It was built by Adam Loftus, a Yorkshireman. The Castle has a...

09 April 2013

1714 – Corkagh House, Clondalkin, Co. Dublin

Corkagh House originally started as a small farmhouse built circa 1650 which was later extended between 1702 and 1714 when a large wing of eight bays and a parapeted roof was constructed. This...

26 November 2013

1764 – Marlay House, Rathfarnham, Co. Dublin

Marlay House was built by Thomas Taylor and was originally known as ‘The Grange’. David La Touche, first governor of the newly established Bank of Ireland acquired and extended the house in 1764...

02 December 2013

1766 – Lucan House, Lucan, Co. Dublin

Architect: William Chambers, Michael Stapleton Apparently designed by Sir William Chambers with adaptations by Agmondisham Vesey during the construction of the house. Michael Stapleton designed plasterwork for the interior. However this image by...

22 January 2010

1789 – St. John’s Church of Ireland, Clondalkin, Co. Dublin

Architect: Joseph Welland The present St. John’s Church was built in 1789 and substantially extended in 1854 by Joseph Welland. The medieval church which stood on this site was demolished in 1785 to...

26 January 2010

1795 – Church of Ireland, Rathfarnham, Co. Dublin

The church which dates from 1795 has had two enlargements. The first was in the 1820s when the tower and spire were added. There were some “improvements” by Welland & Gillespie in 1865....

23 April 2013

1814 – Liffey Bridge, Lucan, Co. Dublin

Architect: George Knowles Designed by George Knowles, architect of Dublin’s Fr. Mathew and O’Donovan Rossa Bridges, and built in 1814 in collaboration with James Savage to replace several bridges which were carried away...

28 January 2010

1815 – 11-12 Upper Main Street, Lucan, Co. Dublin

A pair of substantial former domestic buildings which, though partly altered, retain their original proportions and dominant presence in the streetscape. Valuable interior fragments.

Pages:123Next »