Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Dublin South

26 January 2010

1820 – Former School, Rathfarnham, Co. Dublin

Adjacent to the Church of Ireland, and now used as a community centre, this little school opens out on to the main street of the village as well as the forecourt of the...

27 January 2010

1820 – Sexton’s Cottage, Rathfarnham, Co. Dublin

Adjacent to the school and the local Church of Ireland, this is an attractive little house with unusual detailing above the upper windows.

28 January 2010

1823 – St Andrew’s Church of Ireland, Lucan, Co. Dublin

A prominently sited church which acts as a landmark in the village. According to Edward McParland, in James Gandon: Vitruvius Hibernicus (1985), St. Andrew’s may have been based on a design by James...

13 July 2013

1827 – New Whitechurch, Rathfarnham, Co. Dublin

Architect: John Semple In 1827, a new parish church, officially titled ‘New Whitechurch’, was consecrated, blessed and opened for public worship by the Archbishop of Dublin. The church’s architect was John Semple, the...

23 April 2013

1829 – St. Maelruain’s Church of Ireland, Tallaght, Co. Dublin

Architect: John Semple A new church, constructed in 1829, using the fabric of an earlier church, and re-using a medieval tower as a belfry. Prior to 1829, St Maelruain’s church was built up...

22 April 2013

1840 – St. Mary’s Church, Lucan, Co. Dublin

Officially “The Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary”, but known as St. Mary’s to the people of Lucan. Construction began in 1835, but it wasn’t until 1840 that the roof...

22 January 2010

1846 – Railway Station, Clondalkin, Co. Dublin

A handsome Tudor Revival station building, typical of mid nineteenth-century railway architecture, and similar to the former Hazelhatch and Celbridge Station. Described in The Irish Railway Gazette of 20 July 1846 as “The...

16 July 2013

1849 – St. Mary’s Church, Saggart, Co. Dublin

Work began in 1844 on the foundations of Saggart church, the Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary. Work on the structure began in 1847, and the dedication of the church...

05 February 2010

1852 – St. Columba’s College, Rathfarnham, Co. Dublin

Architect: Philip Charles Hardwick Design for a proposed building at St. Columba’s College, Co. Dublin by Philip Charles Hardwick – to include chapel, hall and cloister. In 1849, St. Columba’s moved from Stackallan...