Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Kildare

08 January 2010

1203 – Maynooth Castle, Maynooth, Co. Kildare

In 1176 Strongbow granted the manor of Maynooth to Maurice Fitzgerald who erected a castle for protection against the native Irish. In 1426 the sixth Earl of Kildare enlarged and rebuilt the castle....

26 November 2011

1210 – St. David’s Castle, Naas, Co. Kildare

Also known as King John’s Castle, and is the last surviving example of the many fortified houses in the town of Naas. Converted into a dwelling in the 18th century. It is a...

08 January 2010

1223 – St. Brigid’s Cathedral, Kildare, Co. Kildare

St. Brigid’s Cathedral, most recently rebuilt in the 19th century, stands on the original site of the nunnery founded by St. Brigid in the 5th century. It most likely occupies the site of...

20 September 2012

1302 – Franciscan Friary, Castledermot, Co.Kildare

Founded in 1302 by Thomas, Lord of Ossory and plundered in 1317. The church was originally a rectangle with transepts added in the 1320s. The monastery was suppressed in 1541. To the south...

08 January 2010

1630 – St Mary’s Church of Ireland, Maynooth, Co. Kildare

St Mary’s Church of Ireland is, curiously, incorporated into the outer wall of St Patrick’s College, and was originally built as a private chapel for the castle. In 1248, it was made a...

14 March 2011

1722 – Castletown House, Celbridge, Co. Kildare

Architects: Alessandro Galilei & Edward Lovett Pearce Castletown is the largest and grandest Palladian country house in Ireland. It was built for William Conolly (1662-1729), the Speaker of the Irish House of Commons....

14 March 2012

1730s – St Wolstan’s, Celbridge, Co. Kildare

The buildings of St. Wolstan’s priory were probably converted into a house for Sir John Alen before his death in 1561. The present house is said to have been first built in the...

18 February 2014

1731 – Furness House, Naas, Co. Kildare

Architect: Francis Bindon The 3-bay centre block is of cut ashlar limestone, with pilasters and lions around the door. Attributed to Francis Bindon. In 1783 two wings were added and in 1795 a...

01 November 2014

1739 – Carton, Maynooth, Co. Kildare

Architect: Richard Cassels / Richard Morrison In 1739, the 19th Earl of Kildare employed Richard Castle to build the existing house replacing an earlier buildng. Castle (originally Cassels) was responsible for many of...