Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Kildare

08 January 2010

1760 – Harbour House, Maynooth, Co. Kildare

Interesting treatment on a mid eighteenth century house with the main entrance elevated to first floor level and acessed by a metal staircase.

01 March 2011

1767 – Moore Abbey, Monasterevin, Co. Kildare

Architect: Christopher Myers Gothic rebuilding, carried for 6th Earl of Drogheda by Christopher Myers, who ‘in 1767, beautifully repaired the ancient abbey by enlarging the windows, placing a new roof, and recompartitioning the...

14 March 2014

1780s – The Abbey, Celbridge, Co. Kildare

Celbridge Abbey was built by Bartholomew Van Homrigh, Lord Mayor of Dublin, in 1697. It was his daughter, Esther Van Homrigh who has been immortalised as ‘Vanessa’ by Jonathan Swift. Swift came regularly...

08 January 2010

1790 – Bishops Court House, Naas, Co. Kildare

Architect: Sir Richard Morrison An early work of Richard Morrison in a classical style reminiscent of the work of James Gandon. Country house of the Earl of Clonmell.

08 January 2010

1824 – St. Joseph’s Square, Maynooth College, Maynooth, Co. Kildare

Maynooth College was founded in 1795 as a seminary for the education of priests. The College opened in the autumn of 1795 in a house recently built by John Stoyte, steward of the...

08 January 2010

1840 – St. Mary’s Church, Maynooth, Co. Kildare

Work stated in 1834 on a new parish church for Maynooth and in 1840 the new parish church of St. Mary’s was consecrated. The Freeman’s journal described the ‘beautiful edifice… of the purest...

16 April 2012

1846 – Design for Royal College of St. Patrick, Maynooth, Co. Kildare

Architect: Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin “A general prospect of the Royal College of St Patrick, Maynooth and the proposed additions”. Pugin’s scheme for St. Patrick’s Seminary as designed, but ultimately not completed by...

01 April 2014

1846 – Railway Station, Newbridge, Co. Kildare

Newbridge Railway Station was opened in 1846 by the Great Southern and Western Railway line reached the town. Newbridge was then an important military centre, having its own cavalry barracks and being less...

23 April 2011

1847 – Railway Station, Monasterevin, Co. Kildare

Architect: Sancton Wood Fine picturesque railway station for the Great Southern by Sancton Wood. Wood designed many of the stations on the line below Kildare and before Limerick. No longer in use as...