Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Kilkenny

07 January 2014

1802 – Castlecomer House, Co. Kilkenny

Architect: John Johnston The original Castlecomer House, the family seat of the Wandesfordes, was built in 1638. It was burned down during the battle of Castlecomer in 1798. A replacement and larger house...

06 December 2013

1335 – Market Cross, Kilkenny, Co. Kilkenny

From the Transactions of the Kilkenny Archaeological Society, 1843: “This interesting monument, which was erected in 1335, stood in the High-street, between the Butterslip and the Tholsel, and appears to have been an...

02 October 2013

1820s – Shankill Castle, Paulstown, Co. Kilkenny

Shankill Castle started as a Butler tower-house near the ruins of an old church. Rebuilt in the early 18th century, it received its current character in the 19th century when it was enlarged...

02 October 2013

1850 – Garda Station, Bennetsbridge, Co. Kilkenny

Former Royal Irish Constabulary police station, now in use as a Garda Station. Unusual design with central house with round towers to the corners.

02 October 2013

1744 – Bessborough House, Fiddown, Co. Kilkenny

Architect: Francis Bindon Large Palladian house with wings, designed by Francis Bindon around 1744 on the site of an earlier house. Later addition of a porch by Sir Thomas Manly Deane, who also...

09 July 2013

1816 – Church of The Assumption, Callan, Co. Kilkenny

By an unknown architect, the catholic church in Callan dated from around 1816. A stern classical exercise, it has fine columns on the west front with a rather unusual tower and spire. The...

26 March 2013

1733 – Desart Court, Callan, Co. Kilkenny

Architect: Edward Lovett Pearce A Palladian house of two storeys over a basement, joined to two two-storey wings by curved sweeps from around 1733, and attributed to Edward Lovett Pearce. The centre block...

09 March 2013

1731 – Church of Saint Lachtan, Freshford, Co. Kilkenny.

The site of a church from 1100; however all that is left is the beautiful Hiberno-Romanesque architectural porch and doorway. The remainder of the present church was built for Protestant worship in 1731....

09 March 2013

1845c – Gates of Shankill Castle, Paulstown, Co. Kilkenny

Architect: Daniel Robertson Imposing polygonal gatehouse attached to earlier gateway, attributed to William Robertson. The gatehouse contains several rooms on both levels. Legend has it that the lodge designs were originally intended for...