Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Kilkenny

09 July 2013

1816 – Church of The Assumption, Callan, Co. Kilkenny

By an unknown architect, the catholic church in Callan dated from around 1816. A stern classical exercise, it has fine columns on the west front with a rather unusual tower and spire. The...

19 January 2010

1820 – Kilkenny Castle Stableyards, Co. Kilkenny

Architect: Charles Verpyle A fine building across the street from the castle and grander than many public buildings in other towns in Ireland, the stables consist of two courtyards and buildings. The main...

19 January 2010

1820 – St. John’s Priory, Kilkenny, Co. Kilkenny

Architect: William Robertson Priory with medieval roots, much of the original church was demolished or incorporated into this small parish church. The Augustine priory was founded by William Le Mareschal in c.1220. In...

02 October 2013

1820s – Shankill Castle, Paulstown, Co. Kilkenny

Shankill Castle started as a Butler tower-house near the ruins of an old church. Rebuilt in the early 18th century, it received its current character in the 19th century when it was enlarged...

19 January 2010

1837 – Kilkenny Castle, Co. Kilkenny

Kilkenny Castle has been an important site since Strongbow constructed the first building here, a wooden tower in the 12th century. William the Earl Marshall built the first stone castle on the site...

06 June 2014

1845 – St Patrick’s Church, Ballyragget, Co. Kilkenny

Architect: William Deane Butler The architect of Ballyragget Church, William Deane Butler, was responsible for quite a few churches in the Diocese of Ossory. He also designed the Cathedral and the Diocesan College....

09 March 2013

1845c – Gates of Shankill Castle, Paulstown, Co. Kilkenny

Architect: Daniel Robertson Imposing polygonal gatehouse attached to earlier gateway, attributed to William Robertson. The gatehouse contains several rooms on both levels. Legend has it that the lodge designs were originally intended for...

19 January 2010

1847 – Old Railway Station, Kilkenny, Co. Kilkenny

Architect: Captain Moorsom & Sancton Wood Designed by Captain Moorsom and built a year later in a modified form by Sancton Wood, the architect of Heuston Station in Dublin, the old station is...

09 March 2013

1849 – Church of the Immaculate Conception, Castlecomer, Co. Kilkenny

Architect: William Deane Butler The foundation stone for the present church was laid on the 16th August 1844 by Father Joseph Butler P.P. and was completed in 1852. Designed by William Deane Butler,...