Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Kilkenny

03 May 2014

1849 – St. Kieran’s College, Kilkenny

Architect: William Deane Butler Saint Kieran’s College was founded as the diocesan school in 1782 and was one of the first of its kind in the country. Between 1836 and 1845 a new...

02 October 2013

1850 – Garda Station, Bennetsbridge, Co. Kilkenny

Former Royal Irish Constabulary police station, now in use as a Garda Station. Unusual design with central house with round towers to the corners.

08 January 2010

1857 – St. Mary’s Cathedral, Kilkenny, Co. Kilkenny

Architect: William Deane Butler Kilkenny has two cathedrals, the older St Canice’s belonging to the Church of Ireland and St Mary’s for the catholic faith. Both are fairly similar in size, although the...

08 January 2010

1870 – Former Bank of Ireland, Kilkenny, Co. Kilkenny

Architect: Sandham Symes A large fine Classically-composed bank building on an awkward corner site, the two end bays are curved to fit the site. It successfully negotiates an awkward corner site with elevations...

20 February 2014

1877 – Thomastown Viaduct, Co. Kilkenny

Architect: Charles R. Galwey Published in The Engineer, April 19 1879. Designed for the Waterford & Central Ireland Railway Company. The bridge originally opened in 1850 with a wooden central span of timber...

25 March 2014

1884 – Design for St. Patrick’s Church, Kilkenny

Architect: Walter G. Doolin Unsuccessful entry in a limited competition to design a new church in 1884. By 1887, the Irish Builder was reporting that “owing to the lamented death of the late...

08 January 2010

1899 – St. Patricks’s Church, Kilkenny, Co. Kilkenny

Architect: S.F. Hynes Designed in 1896-9 by the Cork based architect S.F. Hynes, St. Patrick’s is a simple late Gothic revival church with a transept reserved for the nuns of the adjacent convent.

08 January 2010

1905 – Former Provincial Bank, Kilkenny, Co. Kilkenny

Architect: Batchelor & Hicks A former branch of the Provincial Bank,which after a series of bank mergers in Ireland in the mid 20th century became part of Allied Irish Banks. A simple building...

18 March 2014

1906 – Barrow Railway Bridge, Co. Wexford

Architect: Sir Benjamin Baker Built across the border of counties Wexford and Kilkenny between 1902 and 1906 to designs by Benjamin Baker, it is the longest railway bridge in Ireland at 2,131 feet...