Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Laois

18 October 2012

1680s – Ballykilcavan House, Stradbally, Co. Laois

Ballykilcavan has full-height wings like flanking towers at the corners of the entrance front while similar towers on the rear of the house are now hidden by later extensions. These towers were a...

20 February 2014

1773 – Abbeyleix House, Abbeyleix, Co. Laois

Architect: James Wyatt A seven-bay, three-storey over basement with dormer attic Classical-style country house, begun 1773, with a pedimented breakfront having a cut stone Doric door-case to the ground floor. Originally brick, later...

24 August 2010

1790 – Emo Court, Co. Laois

Architect: James Gandon, William Caldbeck Designed by the architect James Gandon in 1790 for John Dawson, the first Earl of Portarlington, the house took many years and architects to complete. It was around...

14 March 2013

1800c – Market House, Portarlington, Co. Laois

Still intact, sited in the centre of the market square, but now much defaced by its usage as a service station. A simple markethouse with open archways at ground level to provide covered...

23 March 2011

1802 – Design for house, Co. Laois

Architect: Richard Morrison A design published in “A collection of designs for rural retreats” by James Malton, with two elevational treatments. Annotated as to be built in “Queen’s County”, there are no records...

21 October 2010

1830 – Prison, Portlaoise, Co. Laois

Architect: William Deane Butler Now obscured by more modern security measures, Portlaoise (formerly Maryborough) Prison had a magnificent entrance gateway worthy of a Norman castle.

22 October 2011

1830s – Church, Rathdowney, Co. Laois

Replaced by an unremarkable exercise in 1950s Romaneque sited on the then edge of town. This church was pulled down and the site is still a surface carpark.

15 November 2013

1840 – Pembroke Row, Abbeyleix, Co. Laois

When the 3rd Viscount de Vesci married Lady Emma Hubert, daughter of the Earl of Pembroke and Montgomery. The Earl built this stone terrace of houses for the town as part of his...

12 June 2013

1840 – St. Patrick’s Church, Ballyroan, Co. Laois

St. Patrick’s is a simple rectangular church with a flat-ceiling interior.

Pages:1234Next »