Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Laois

09 March 2013

1840s – St Michael’s Church, Portarlington, Co. Laois

Architect: Thomas A. Cobden / T.F. McNamara Mainly attributed to Thomas A. Cobden on the basis that the parish priest of the time of construction was the administrator of Carlow during the construction...

13 April 2012

1847 – Portlaoise Railway Station, Co. Laois

Architect: Sancton Wood Originally a station on the Great Southern and Western Railway, Portlaoise Railway Station cost upwards of £5,000 to build. Designed by Sancton Wood and characteristically Gothic in style, it was...

21 September 2012

1850 – Former Bank of Ireland, Church St., Portlaoise, Co. Laois

Architect: George Halpin Former bank branch for the Bank of Ireland. Probably a converted house, the building has a fine set of Victorian railings to the street. Still existing today, the building looks...

07 March 2013

1854 – St Brigid’s Church, Ballinakill, Co. Laois

Architect: J.J. McCarthy The spire and tower was added by J.J. McCarthy around 1854 to an earlier church. The earlier building is a simple cruciform church, similar to many found in smaller towns...

06 January 2010

1860 – de Vesci Memorial, Abbeyleix, Co. Laois

Architect: J.S. Butler A robust and rustic obelisk in the middle of the market square dedicated to the 2nd Viscount de Vesci.

31 March 2014

1863 – Former Town Hall, Mountmellick, Co. Laois

Architect: William Caldbeck Detached three-bay two-storey gable-fronted former town hall, designed by William Caldbeck and built alongside his bank constructed at the same time for the National Bank. Now in use as parish...

31 March 2014

1863 – National Bank, Mountmellick, Co. Laois

Architect: William Caldbeck Bank branch designed for the National Bank by William Caldbeck, alongside his townhall. Now a branch of the Bank of Ireland. “The new National Bank-house at Mountmellick, lately erected by...

06 January 2010

1865 – Church of Ireland, Abbeyleix, Co. Laois

Architect: John Semple / T.H. Wyatt Originally designed by John Semple in 1825, only the western end with his trademark austerity survives. The rest is from 1865 by T.H. Wyatt. Semple’s church was...

31 March 2014

1865 – Church of the Sacred Heart, Arless, Co. Laois

Architect: Pugin & Ashlin Fine gothic exterior with spire on an elevated site makes Pugin & Ashlin’s church at Arless a landmark in the local landscape. The interior has some original fittings, with...