Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Laois

12 July 2013

1866 – St. Paul’s Church, Emo, Co. Laois

Architect: J.S. Butler The site for the church was a gift from Lord Portarlington, and the parochial house and lands beside the church were granted by the Earl of Portarlington at a nominal...

14 March 2013

1869 – Brittas Castle, Clonaslee, Co. Laois

Architect: John McCurdy / Millar & Symes Built for Major-General Francis Plunkett Dunne in 1869, to a design by John McCurdy. It was extended ten years later by Millar & Symes. Constructed of...

12 June 2013

1869 – St Mark’s Church of Ireland, Borris-in-Ossory, Co. Laois

Architect: Welland & Gillespie Simple rectangular church with unusual round tower to the south. Photograph courtesy, and copyright of Keith J. Allen.

14 March 2013

1878 – St Joseph’s Church, Mountmellick, Co. Laois

Architect: J.J. O’Callaghan / W.H. Byrne & Son The main body of St. Joseph’s was constructed between 1872 and 1878, with the tower a later addition of 1904 by W.H. Byrne & Son....

21 October 2012

1891 – Allied Irish Bank, Portlaoise, Co. Laois

Architect: J.J. O’Callaghan Built as a branch for the Munster & Leinster Bank in redbrick with limestone dressings. It is a fine Victorian gothic building with manager`s accommodation alongside with a separate entrance.

06 January 2010

1895 – Church, Abbeyleix, Co. Laois

Architect: William Hague Designed by prominent church architect William Hague, this church of 1896 is attached to an earlier convent. A cruciform plan, the tower and spire is attached to the southern transept,...

06 January 2010

1906 – Market House, Abbeyleix, Co. Laois

Unusual market house from the early twentieth century in a curious hybrid of styles. Shown prior to its conversion to a library by deBlacam & Meagher Architects.

06 January 2010

1909 – Bank of Ireland, Abbeyleix, Co. Laois

Architect: J.P. Wren A wonderfully eccentric design for the Hibernian Bank which mixes a myriad of architectural features. The small tower with corner window and copper dome is the entrance to the manager’s...

14 January 2013

1935 – Hospital, Portlaoise, Co. Laois

Architect: Scott & Good In 1935 Scott & Good designed Portlaoise General Hospital. This building unlike its predecessor at Tullamore, does away with traditional massing and materials. It is a flat roofed, white...