Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Longford

06 March 2013

1810 – St Patrick’s Church of Ireland, Ardagh, Co. Longford

St Patrick’s Church , Ardagh , County Longford (1809) Constructed in 1810 with the three stage tower added several years later. The tower has cut stone corner pinnacles and Irish style crenellated parapet....

12 July 2013

1810 – St. Munis Church of Ireland, Forgney, Co. Longford

Unusual church design with two curving bays flanking the tower over the entrance. The impressive bell tower and unusual vestibules were added in 1813 at the expense of the Countess of Rosse in...

14 March 2013

1819 – Library, Ballymahon, Co. Longford

Architect: S. Mullen Former markethouse converted into a public library. Quite a plain two storey building of three bays, with segmental-headed arches on ground floor and Shuldham family arms in eaves pediment. Tastefully...

14 March 2013

1832 – Saint George’s Church, Kenagh, Co. Longford

Architect: William Farrell The original church was erected at expense of Jane, Dowager Countess of Rosse – believed to be around £2,000. The church is a single-cell church with shallow projections on each...

15 July 2013

1855 – Railway Station, Edgeworthstown, Co. Longford

Architect: George Wilkinson Constructed for the Midland Great Western Railway Co., and opened in 8th November 1855. Visually similar to many on this network to the northwest of Ireland – a two storey,...

14 March 2013

1859 – Blessed Lady of the Rosary Church, Lanesborough, Co. Longford

A former Church of Ireland building, converted for use as the local Roman Catholic church in 1915. The change of congregation and various rebuilds over the years have given it a curious appearance....

14 March 2013

1861 – Featherstone Memorial, Ardagh, Co. Longford

Architect: Rawson Carroll Constructed as a clocktower and memorial to Sir Ralph Featherstone by his widow Elizabeth.A rdagh is a small designed estate village, laid out around a small village green with the...

02 March 2014

1863 – Ulster Bank, Longford, Co. Longford

Architect: James Bell Fine limestone facade with carved riverine keystones to the windows on the ground floor. Published in The Irish Builder, February 15 1863.

08 March 2013

1864 – Houses, Ardagh, Co. Longford

Architect: Rawson Carroll Ardagh is a small designed estate village, laid out around a small village green. The cottages were all largely designed by the architect James Rawson Carroll, (1830 – 1911). The...

Pages:12Next »