Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Louth

07 January 2010

1334 – Town Walls, Drogheda, Co. Louth

The walled area of medieval Drogheda enclosed 113 acres making it one of the largest walled towns in medieval Ireland. The walls were completed in 1334. It was comparable in size to Dublin,...

06 January 2010

1430c – The Mint, Carlingford, Co. Louth

Essentially a fortified three storey town house belonging to a wealthy merchant family in the centre of Carlingford. While the right to mint coinage was granted to Carlingford in 1467 it is unlikely...

06 January 2010

1450 – The Tholsel, Carlingford, Co. Louth

The Tholsel or town-gate is the only remaining example of its nature in Carlingford and one of the few left in Ireland. Originally three stories high – the present appearance is due to...

06 January 2010

14th C. Dominican Friary, Carlingford, Co. Louth

The Dominicans were established in Carlingford in 1305 with the friary being dedicated to St. Malachy. Dissolved in 1540 by Henry VIII it became the centre of a repossession struggle between the Dominicans...

05 March 2014

1570 – The Wooden House, Drogheda, Co. Louth

The Wooden House, Drogheda; erected 1570 by Nicholas Bathe at the junction of Laurence and Shop streets; taken down 1824. From The Dublin Penny Journal, September 15 1832: “It occupied the angle formed...

06 January 2010

1600c – Hatch’s Castle, Ardee, Co. Louth

The smaller of the two castles on the street, Hatch’s Castle with its unusual rounded corners is a private home. The southern corner has a projecting turret.

06 January 2010

1600s – St. Leger’s Castle, Ardee, Co. Louth

One of two castles on the main street and known locally as the Courthouse, this early 17th century castle has been recently restored and will be turned to civic usage. It was converted...

29 May 2014

1660s – Beaulieu, Co. Louth

The buildings at Beaulieu, evolved over time, from tower house to Jacobean building, finally being redesigned as a grand mansion, in the English style, by the Tichbourne family. As such, it is a...

06 January 2010

16th C. – Taffee’s Castle, Carlingford, Co. Louth

A sizable fortified town house that belonged to the rich mercantile Taaffe family who became Earls of Carlingford in 1661. It’s close proximity to the harbour would suggest that trade was conducted from...