Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Louth

07 January 2010

1811 – Former Wesleyan Methodist Church, Drogheda, Co. Louth

An unusual church built in 1811 and further renovated in 1911. A simple rectangular building with a three bay classical façade. The simplicity of this façade has ornate pointed windows with sandstone tracery,...

06 January 2010

1814 – Old St. Marys Church of Ireland, Ardee, Co. Louth

Architect: C.H. Sillery The present nave and chancel are of nineteenth century construction but incorporate medieval fragments. It was repaired and rebuilt preserving only portions of tower of previous church – possibly to...

06 January 2010

1815 – Philipstown Mill, Dundalk, Co. Louth

In 1815 James Kieran and his brother William built Philipstown Mills, approximately three miles from Dundalk at a cost of £30,000 – £40,000. These extensive watermills took advantage of the adjacent Castletown River....

07 January 2010

1816 – St John’s Home, Drogheda, Co. Louth

St John’s Home is made of two ranges of buildings. Each building contains two houses of three bays and two storeys. The buildings are linked by a screen wall. The gables of the...

06 January 2010

1819 – Courthouse, Dundalk, Co. Louth

Architect: Edward Parke Designed by Edward Park and supposedly based on the portico design and dimensions of the Temple of Theseus in Athens, Dundalk Courthouse is a fabulous classical revival building. Its main...

06 January 2010

1821 – Former Church of Ireland, Carlingford, Co. Louth

Donated by the Church of Ireland to Carlingford this restored medieval church (the former Church of the Holy Trinity) is also known as the Holy Trinity Heritage Centre. The tower is an earlier...

07 January 2010

1827 – Presbyterian Church, Drogheda, Co. Louth

Architect: Austin Nicholls Unusually built in a Gothic Revival style (Presbyterians tended to favour classical designs at this time), and like most public buildings and churches in Drogheda, it is faced with limestone...

06 January 2010

1829 – Former Catholic Church, Ardee, Co. Louth

Now a furniture store, the former Catholic church is a simple structure with few architectural pretensions. It was one of the earliest churches to be completed in the post- Emancipation period.

07 January 2010

1829 – Former Franciscan Church, Drogheda, Co. Louth

No trace of the medieval Franciscan Friary of Drogheda survives. In 1798 the Franciscans moved to the present site in Laurence Street. In 1829 work began on a new church, which was opened...