Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Louth

07 January 2010

1830 – Merchant’s Quay, Drogheda, Co. Louth

This handsome former corn and flour mill displays the balanced proportions and fine detailing typical of nineteenth century architectural developments.

06 January 2010

1834 – Former Louth Hospital, Dundalk, Co. Louth

Architect: Thomas Smith Designed by English architect Thomas Smith who came to work in County Louth in the early to mid 19th century. Now in use as extra accommodation for the nearby Grammar...

06 January 2010

1839 – Barmeath Castle, Dunleer, Co. Louth

Architect: John B. Keane / Thomas Smith Originally the site of a medieval Castle of the Pale, it was enlarged in the mid 18th century into a Georgian residence. At this stage it...

06 January 2010

1845 – No.16 Park Street, Dundalk, Co. Louth

Architect: George Halpin / Millar & Symes Designed for the Bank of Ireland by George Halpin, this building was remodelled for Millar and Symes in the first part of the twentieth century. Banded...

07 January 2010

1852 – Railway Station, Drogheda, Co. Louth

Architect: George Papworth A fine little railway station that was the end of the line before construction of the viaduct. Extended in recent years to serve the increasing Dublin commuter market, the station...

06 January 2010

1853 – Garda Station, Dundalk, Co. Louth

Architect: John Neville Designed as the County Gaol by John Neville, and now in use as the town’s Garda Station. This is a fine if overblown piece of architecture. Neville was the County...

07 January 2010

1855 – Railway Viaduct, Drogheda, Co. Louth

Architect: William Evans & James Barton Built between 1851 and 1855, the Drogheda Railway Viaduct is an impressive feat of engineering – equally impressive from a train as from down below. Until the...

06 January 2010

1858 – Knockabbey Castle, Louth, Co. Louth

Architect: William Caldbeck When it was first built in 1399, it was called Thomastown Castle and consisted only of a towerhouse. Reflecting their prestige and position, the Bellews, who had lived here since...

06 January 2010

1858 – No.70 Clanbrassil Street, Dundalk, Co. Louth

Architect: John Neville Built by Nicholas Martin & Company as a wine store known as the ‘Wine Vaults’, the building originally featured an impressive rusticated ground floor shopfront in the style of the...