Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Louth

06 January 2010

1859 – Town Hall, Dundalk, Co. Louth

Architect: John Murray Built in 1859 for the Corn Exchange Company, but the cost of building it put the company into liquidation and so the Town Commissioners bought it for 4,000 pounds. The...

07 January 2010

1860 – AXA Insurance, Drogheda, Co. Louth

Architect: William G. Murray The former Provincial Bank is built of Limestone ashlar with an elaborate façade at street-level. The ground floor façade has paired polished granite columns with lush foliage capitals. Above...

06 January 2010

1860 – Church of St Nicholas, Dundalk, Co. Louth

Architect: John Murray Small Roman Catholic church on an important site in the town but sadly lacking any sort of impressive presence. The church was originally built with an unusual tall slender steeple...

07 January 2010

1865 – Whitworth Hall, Drogheda, Co. Louth

Architect: William Barre Built by Benjamin Whitworth for the benefit of the citizens of Drogheda, this vigourous composition in Lombardo-Romanesque is a good contribution to the street-scape. It cost over 4,000 pounds at...

07 January 2010

1866 – Augustinian Friary, Drogheda, Co. Louth

Architect: Michael Moran Unfinished, the Augustinian church should have received a spire, a stumpy tower to the right of the main façade was all that was completed. The exterior is finished in a...

06 January 2010

1867 – Dominican Church and Friary, Dundalk, Co. Louth

Architect: John Murray Both the church and the priory were designed by local architect John Murray. Originally the church was intended to have a tall spire to dominate the composition but it was...

07 January 2010

1867 – St. Peter’s Glebe House, Drogheda, Co. Louth

Sited within the grounds of St Peter’s, this Glebe house is of two periods. To the rear is a three storey building with a pediment dated 1759. The part of the house shown,...

06 January 2010

1869 – Presbyterian Church, Carlingford, Co. Louth

Architect: Robert Young Simple little Gothic Revival Presbyterian Church in a combination of limestone and granite masonry, with lancet windows and an unusual filial on the apex of the facade.

06 January 2010

1873 – No.63 Clanbrassil Street, Dundalk, Co. Louth

Building with skillfully designed and executed details on a rendered facade.