Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Louth

02 April 2013

1873 – School, Euston Street, Greenore, Co. Louth

Built in 1873 to provide educational facilities for the children of the workers at the large port and railway facilities. The village of Greenore, at the mouth of Carlingford Lough, grew up in...

07 January 2010

1874 – Cord Burial Ground Church, Drogheda, Co. Louth

A small gothic mortuary chapel with a particularly high pitched roof. The building is finished in rusticated limestone. Dedicated 21 June 1874. In the corner of the graveyard is the east gable of...

07 January 2010

1875 – Former Convent, Drogheda, Co. Louth

This attractive former convent and school displays varied decorative detailing from the elegant dog-tooth mouldings to the more robust rock-faced plinth. This decoration together with the contrasting brick and stone construction make this...

02 April 2013

1875 – Railway Hotel, Greenore, Co. Louth

Architect: James Barton Impressive railway hotel built by the Dundalk, Newry & Greenore Railway in the 1870s as Greenore was becoming an important transit point with the completion of the railway and the...

07 January 2010

1876 – Bank of Ireland, Drogheda, Co. Louth

Architect: Sandham Symes A fine and vigorous building by Sandham Symes who also designed a fine branch for the same bank in Kilkenny. Designed in an Italianate style, the five bay, two storey...

07 January 2010

1878 – St. Mary Magdalen’s Dominican Church, Drogheda, Co. Louth

Architect: G.C. Ashlin Designed in a French Gothic style and built in 1878, the Dominican church is finished in rusticated limestone. The side entrance to Dominick Street has a small tower over the...

07 January 2010

1879 – St. Mary’s Sunday School, Drogheda, Co. Louth

A small three bay building of rusticated limestone and brick trimmings opposite St Mary’s Church of Ireland. A plaque on the building announces that it was “Erected by Thomas Plunket Cairnes 1879″. It...

07 January 2010

1880 – St Peter’s Church, Drogheda, Co. Louth

Architect: O’Neill & Byrne The centerpiece of Drogheda north of the Boyne is the tall and graceful French Gothic church by O’Neill & Byrne. Set into the hillside, it is approached up a...

28 February 2014

1883 – Design for Post Office, Dundalk, Co. Louth

Architect: W.I. Chambers A design for Nos. 75-76 Clanbrassil Street in Dundalk. Published in The Irish Builder, December 15 1883.