Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Louth

24 March 2014

1886 – The Dundalk Club, Roden Place, Dundalk, Co. Louth

Architect: John L. O’Hanlon Still standing today, with remarkably intact exterior with some fine decorative ironwork. “The new premises for the Dundalk Club (Limited) have been erected in Roden-place, Dundalk, from the designs...

07 January 2010

1890s – Clarke’s Bar, Drogheda, Co. Louth

A fine late 19th century building and interior. The exterior is rendered with decorative window surrounds and a fine shop front. The interior with its low counters, snugs, and drawer units from a...

09 April 2014

1892 – Church of the Immaculate Conception, Louth, Co. Louth

Architect: W.H. Byrne Constructed between 1890 to 1892, extensively fire damaged in 2005, started during renovation work, leaving only the exterior walls and spire standing. Re-opened with modern interior. “The materials are local...

06 January 2010

1892 – St. Joseph’s Redemptorist Church and Monastery, Dundalk, Co. Louth

Architect: G.C. Ashlin Built in two phases, the monastery 1879-1880, and the church 1890-1892, both designed by G.C. Ashlin and finished in Newry granite. It by James McAdorey, a Belfast man who had...

07 January 2010

1892 – St. Mary’s Church, Drogheda, Co. Louth

Architect: P.J. Dodd Designed by a local architect, P.J. Dodd, St Mary’s is another large Catholic church in a gothic style. The exterior is dominated by the slender tower and spire. At ground...

06 January 2010

1894 – Clarke Station, Dundalk, Co. Louth

Architect: William H. Mills Built to replace a station originally designed by Sir John MacNeil around 1850, Clarke Station is situated at track level beneath the surrounding street level and is the finest...

07 January 2010

1896 – Firstactive Bank, Drogheda, Co. Louth

Architects: Walter G. Doolin Originally built as a branch of the Munster and Leinster Bank, this building by Walter G. Doolinis a hybrid of styles. The ground floor has an arcade of tall...

07 January 2010

18th C. – Nos. 23-24 St Lawrence Street, Drogheda, Co. Louth

Fine pair of mid eighteenth century houses. Recently cleaned and restored, the buildings lack their original glazing bars. The gable end to No. 24 to Palace Street is of rubble stone.

06 January 2010

1900 – No.73 Clanbrassil Street, Dundalk, Co. Louth

A former bank, which has been converted into a shop, it has attractive moulded details that add greatly to its dignified fa├žade.